UK comedy legend Blackadder to return for long-awaited fifth season

Yep he played a teacher in the Inbetweeners series. Actually he used to be a real school teacher. He hosts Taskmaster now.

3 Likes

Straitened as in strait jacket, not straightened. Only if his circumstances were bent could they be straightened.

4 Likes

Sure would like to see Tim McInnerney, Miranda Richardson, et al in some prime cameos.

13 Likes

Best news out of the UK since June 22nd, 2016.

I think Atkinson kept quiet so far about that incident, unlike the more and more cringeworthy John Cleese.

I wonder how a Thatcher-era Blackadder would work out…

1 Like

A Thatcher-era Blackadder is basically The New Statesman, surely?

11 Likes

There was. It was called “AbFab.”

7 Likes

UK comedy legend Blackadder to return

Hell yeah. I was not expecting this news but god damn is Blackadder awesome.

6 Likes

Yeah… now I’m sad.

Who’s going to say, with the same passion: “I’ve got a plan, and it’s as hot as my pants.”

7 Likes

Brexit Blackadder all the way.

4 Likes

Yes, but also very much no.

Blackadder was so good, and the ending to ‘goes forth’ so perfectly tragic an end to four lifetimes of comedy that unless they have something truly amazing to pull out of the bag, then a fifth series is going to be a massive let-down, no matter how cunning the cunning plan is.

8 Likes

My head canon is that Rick survived the bus crash at the end of the Young Ones then changed his name to Alan B’Stard.

He wouldn’t be the first anarkiddie to switch to conservatism when it benefits him (I say that as an anarchist who used to be a dem-soc). Alan also switched parties when New Labour was elected, so that mercenary attitude fits too. If Alan was still around he would be in the Brexit Party now.

8 Likes

Matt Berry, of course. He’s a little busy being the resident horndog over at What We Do in the Shadows, though.

19 Likes

This could either turn out to be topical and great, or reactionary shit. The idea that is should be about how they hate young people makes me worry it will be the the latter.

Make the students background characters and focus on the staff, write a series about Blackadder as an aging lecturer chasing after a job as professor while not making enough to live on.

7 Likes

I don’t know, the idea it’s about how they hate the yout actually makes me hope. How else can we explain the actions of those in power than profound hatred and contempt for the young? Making that explicit, pulling up the ladder behind them, being petty, vindictive, and cruel would work for me…

6 Likes

This is what worries me; there are so many bits of 20th century history to use that would be great, why the lit fic staple of a middle aged University Prof? It’s a tedious cliche when ‘serious writers’ do it ffs.

5 Likes

So… reality? I’d watch it…

better-call-saul-jimmy-okay

8 Likes

Greg Davies as a relative?

2 Likes

Well, every season up to now has been full of backstabbing politics and intrigue. Why change the formula?

7 Likes

I’m not saying don’t have it in, I’m just worried that it will be a millenial hatefest as it is currently described.

Blackadder was never an idealist (except in specials). He would have hated the Boomers he went to university with and Gen-X when he first got his job. If they can’t make that clear then they shouldn’t try.

7 Likes

And being all “Ripper Street” as Inspector Rabbit.

6 Likes