UK comedy legend Blackadder to return for long-awaited fifth season

Tough to pull off thirty years on, and maybe impossible if Ben Elton’s writing on Upstart Crow is any indication. I’ve tried to watch it several times and never lasted more than five minutes. It comes across as a nitwit’s attempt to “do” Shakespeare-as-Blackadder. And the acting is almost as bad.

2 Likes

5 Likes

I think Madame Tracy from Good Omens would be an excellent decendant of Queen Elizabeth in the new Blackadder series.

7 Likes

Which series are you starting with? The first series is considered to be the weakest by far. Goodbyeee from Blackadder Goes Forth is a classic though, but that’s right at the very end.

7 Likes

He’s got a new show called Year of the Rabbit that looks great

7 Likes

Snowflakes are already complaining about it.

13 Likes

And he is also voicing Moominpappa in this, at present.

Seems to be getting everywhere (and why not). And Year of the Rabbit is shaping up nicely, having seen the first episode.

But I agree that Greg Davies would make a better Rik substitute, if that is what they would be looking for - which they might not, of course.

4 Likes

After some thought, I’m going to skip this.

The first series was OK. The second series was an utter joy. The third series was superb, but perhaps a little spotty compared to the second. The fourth series was simply sublime.

The Christmas Special in Victorian times was good. The Cavalier Years was decent.

Since then we’ve had Blackadder Back And Forth, which was frankly lacklustre. It felt forced and is more of a nostalgia piece than anything else.

I fear that a new series will continue that marked downwards turn. Perhaps it will surprise me.

I suspect I’m simply protecting myself by expecting very little. It’s such a big legacy to live up to, that it seems quite unlikely they’ll manage it…

1 Like

That’s brilliant head canon, and I’m stealing it. :wink:

2c9eg7

Amongst other concerns, the university setting seems a bit… lazy?
Why not London’s Silicon Roundabout Tech Startups scene? Plenty of possibilities there.

4 Likes

Hard to top that.

3 Likes

As long as it has it’s a fox who has a degree in cunning and has been appointed as the Professor of Cunning at Oxford University.

13 Likes

if I recall correctly - the charge out of the WW1foxhole?

4 Likes

let’s just hope it’s better than that god awful movie they made.

So that’s what he’s been up to instead of making more Toast?

Would love to see a Brexit Blackadder, it would be like an extension of the “Rotten Boroughs” episode but for a whole season.

Election mischief. Political doublecrossing. Consorting with Russians and other oligarchs. Weird oppo research info. Embarrassing statements by various figureheads. Miss Miggins with her funky coffeeshop selling notably bad food and drink. Palatial empty luxury homes in central London being used for strange projects.

IMHO this would be far more entertaining than…

… because I fear that it would be all too easy to write this scenario, without the cleverness and hilarity of some of the previous seasons. I had a hard time with Blackadder Goes Forth. I felt the writing had slipped quite a bit there, and that the team was tired. I say this as a huge fan of the Blackadder series, generally.

7 Likes

“It” refers to Upstart Crow, not Blackadder. I agree about the relative strengths of the Blackadder seasons, though.

2 Likes

I can’t wait. My idea for a Blackadder was swinging London in the '60s. This will work just as well.

3 Likes

index

2 Likes

They could get Graham Linehan to write some episodes.

2 Likes