UK comedy legend Blackadder to return for long-awaited fifth season

I would really rather they didn’t.

4 Likes

Yeah, his old work stands as it is, but there is no need to support it going forward.

2 Likes

That’s the crux of it, Professor Blackadder as a pound shop Jordan Petersen. Which way does it go?

I think they should probably Just Go With It and see where it leads, rather than try to ancipitate objections.The Blackadder character is so laden with centuries of arrogant incompetance that it will inform everything he does. Blackadder is reactionary! Oddly sympathetic because of his wit and ingenuity, yet ultimately pathetic because he’s a vile schemer–just like all the other Blackadders.

I reckon it’ll come down to how they portray other characters and how much effort is put into them not being simple charicatures.

Like, watch out for Miranda Richardson as a woke feminist professor who descends constantly into totalitarian thought policing. Really could be awful. But just one more layer of personality and the whole thing becomes self-subverting, and that was always part of the package with British black comedy. So who knows?

5 Likes

Someone once quipped that squirrels are just sexy rats, and with that in mind, here’s a thought and a warning about how times have changed in UK comedy since 1992 or so:

Blackadders are just sexy Partridges

6 Likes

Professor Blackadder, the master of an Oxbridge college, and Baldrick, the head porter?

Really not seeing it.

Admittedly, I’m not looking too closely.

1 Like

Well, considering the way those hating were the incompetent ones themselves, I dare say this “A Fifth of Backadder” (my working title for it) will make Professor Blackadder’s venal, corrupt and nasty plots more the butt of jokes than the hapless students that he hates. I have a sneaking suspicion that the hidden message will be “the kids are all right, it’s us fecking geezers who are making everything shit!”

5 Likes

Oh, I could see an episode about Professor Blackadder getting involved in that bit of nastiness. “Baldric, I have had enough of my students taking their bright ideas to those tech companies rather than to me, so that I can publish them under my name!” “Well, sir, I have a cunning plan-” “Is it like the last one which involved a turnip and the girl from the pub?” “Oh no, sir, not at all! It’s a carrot this time.”

4 Likes

Yes; sobs

1 Like

Certainly funnier than anything Linehan’s said in person recently.

3 Likes

Yeah, he’s been a real piece of shit lately.

5 Likes

Yup. You can really go off people fast.
He only has himself to blame.

5 Likes

OH! Derp.

There has already been a (practically perfect) UK series including all the elements that would be obvious components of a Uni-based Blackadder series:

3 Likes

It could work, but they better have a very cunning plan.

2 Likes

So Baldrick’s thingy is shaped like an avocado this time around then?

1 Like

I’d cast Matt Berry as a Rick Mayall character.

edit: someone bet me to it!

1 Like

Blackadder as a teacher in a university, about how much we hate young people’.

…so it’s John Cleese for Rowan Atkinson’s part, for the new season?

5 Likes