UK cop filmed choking suspect: "chill out or I'll choke you out."

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/18/uk-cop-filmed-choking-suspect.html

8 Likes

Made an account to comment on this.

I have a close family member who works for the police in the UK. He’s a really nice cool and chill guy, and we get on really well.

I started worrying when he equated the BLM protestors with the anti-BLM protesters we had locally.

This makes me worry even more.

14 Likes

I imagine it means the same thing, but throwing these cops to the dogs sounds a lot more productive than assigning a review of their misconduct to the Internal Affairs Division.

4 Likes

I’m not excusing this in any way, but I heard no threat of death. I heard two different threats of making him unconscious.

Asphyxiation is deadly. Especially when done by an amateure with an authority complex.

“I’ll shoot you!” sure maybe in the hand. Or maybe the heart, or head. Who knows. Shooting people, like strangling people, is really dangerous.

16 Likes

“The officer involved has been removed from front-line operational duties.”

Just for a while, until things cool down, then he’ll be out doing the same exact shit again and again.

6 Likes

Unless it’s Corvo Attano walking the beat, the implied threat of death in a threat of choking to unconsciousness is likely uncomfortably high. Certainly lower than when you are trying for a lethal takedown; but neck compression by a questionably skilled operator under uncontrolled circumstances is hardly a safe activity.

7 Likes
10 Likes

i really don’t see how a threat to “choke you out” is supposed to make anyone feel like chilling out.

8 Likes

Cops are not the sharpest knives in the drawer. They have a hard time thinking this through.

8 Likes

Yes. So, so many reports of cops saying, “I will kill you.” before killing someone.

8 Likes

I just found out that the cop who tazed Dalian Atkinson was charged with his murder last November (I must have missed it in the news). I have little hope of him being found guilty for that or manslaughter though, even considering how high profile Atkinson was.

8 Likes

::shrug emoji:: ACAB.

1 Like

Dude. Choking people can kill them. Does this REALLY need to be explained? WTF?

10 Likes

They can legally reject anyone with IQ 125 and higher. Average IQ is 104

3 Likes

Unchecked power corrupts. Gangs will be gangs.

1 Like

Choking people is likely to kill them, no matter how well trained the choker thinks they are. This is why cops are often formally (if not in practice) prohibited from doing it, and why it represents an emergency in domestic violence cases.

4 Likes

I think I can explain: he didn’t mean “chill out” in the sense of “chill out”; he meant “chill out” in the sense of “submit”.

2 Likes

Peelian principles look wonderful written down and maybe one day we’ll see them enacted wholesale but not today! Today is a boot stamping on a human face…

2 Likes

Not necessarily

3 Likes