UK coronavirus death toll now worst in Europe

That’s changing as the pandemic spreads.

2 Likes

I was just reading a similar article. Access to top-of-the-line healthcare, as well as so many other factors including vulnerability are all going to be significant to statisticians* and most particularly those catching the virus.

*I am not one, so my conclusions are drawn on somebody else’s interpretation

It’s almost as if allowing a Murdoch-owned right wing gutter press (or TV network) to manufacture the election of reactionary incompetents leads to bad outcomes for the country.

Who could have known?

5 Likes

That’s one factor of many, but doesn’t look like the deciding one:

data point Germany UK ratio
population density 232/km2 270.7/km2 0.857
confirmed cases 170,588 212,629 0.802
deaths 7,510 31,316 0.240

(Data pulled from Jimbopedia and JHU’s COVID-19 dashboard.)

4 Likes

Early and widespread testing, early diagnosis and disrupting onward infection.

2 Likes

Being this PM is a proven serial liar with a history of running away and hiding from problems, I doubt that was true.

If he had the virus at all (which i highly doubt), then he must have had it extremely mild then milked it for all it was worth, for his apparent unheard of miraculous recovery speed…

3 Likes

He is a compulsive liar but by all accounts it was 50/50 whether he was going to pull through. Also the fact they gave the baby a middle name of Nicholas after the two doctors who treated him suggests to me it was pretty serious and i want it to be true because maybe now they’ll stop stripping the NHS and social care of resources that’s been ongoing for a decade and more.

2 Likes

By all UK media accounts, that are as untrustworthy as Johnson.

Massive PR stunt IMHO.

I’d love more than anything for that to be true, but i no longer have any trust whatsoever in this government. They’ve lied so greatly and so consistently that they’ve finally broken my natural tendency to believe people by default. When it comes to Tories (or UK media), i assume 100% lies until proven otherwise these days.

I miss trusting, at least broadly, what people say by default… :frowning:

2 Likes

Oh, no, the deciding factor is idiots.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.