UK coronavirus spread already worse than winter worst-case scenario

I think you’ve got it.

6 Likes

I was responding to a post (since deleted) that was written by an account created today in order to respond to this article.

The gist of the deleted post basically said this article’s estimate of 100k new infections a day was no big deal because it’s no worse than the flu, weekly deaths are low right now, and death rates for the young are low.

If one wanted to argue against the tone of the original article because it paints too dire a picture, there is scientific uncertainty about case fatality rates, co-morbidities, and whether immunity is lasting. Also there appear to be emerging treatment protocols and hopefully medical supplies in the UK are better now than in the spring.

However, those scientific uncertainties work both ways and 100k new infections a day makes for a potentially very bad winter.

3 Likes

that sounds as nonsensical as “the china virus.” it’s a virus. almost nothing ( okay, ignore new zealand ) is going to completely stop the transmission of a virus across borders. even if you completely shut off visitors, you’ve still got citizens who are allowed or need to return to their homes, and the daily system of commercial goods.

it’s up to each region to do the best they can to mitigate the inevitable transmission within their own borders. we all know what it takes to keeps transmission as low as humanly possible. some places - like the us, and apparently the uk - just aren’t willing to do so.

4 Likes

Only a complete moron would genuinely blame a country for the spread of a virus.
I am just fascinated by the ability to follow a small variance across a continent.

I was reading about the reasons it is called the Spanish Flu, just the other day.

1 Like

Kerching.

1 Like

Just declare your dinner a business meeting, and you’re good to go!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.