UK government plans to define as "extremist" anyone who “undermines the country’s institutions and its values”

:thinking:

6 Likes

Also, not to downplay the creeping dystopia and the creeps trying to usher it in, but one of the institutions they think requires protection is the House of Lords? Hasn’t it been a British institution to undermine the House of Lords since like the 1600s?

6 Likes

Yeah, sorry, I was quite cross when typing. :slight_smile:
Someone else has noted that another group that would probably meet this particular criteria would be the Church of England.
(Indeed, pretty much every religious group would qualify I think. Because, whilst they are often derided for being sanctimonious hypocrites, an awful lot of local churches, mosques, synagogues etc. run refugee support, homeless advice, food banks and so on.)

6 Likes

We left the UK in 2019. Brexit was a significant reason to be sure but rather than trying to improve the country, the Tory government continues to double down on division. Almost every day my wife and I agree that we deeply miss the UK, but can’t see ourselves returning until this madness is over and our expectation is that we will most likely never live there again.

7 Likes

I have this image of the members of Monty Python being arrested and handcuffed.

7 Likes

In Tory Britain, obedience is freedom!

5 Likes

Oh no, they’re fine…

https://www.reddit.com/r/redscarepod/comments/17pchbt/practicing_for_the_life_in_the_uk_test_ahead_of/

10 Likes

They’re not though. Like the English Conservative Party they are about England. Imperialist England begins at home.

7 Likes

Also: the monarchy and parliament (from the purges of parliament which led to the rump parliament to the post Brexit actions of the Conservatives. Better stick undermining the judicial system in there as they have done that aggressively post Brexit).

ETA I owe @MikeR a nice cup of tea for getting in first for illegally proroguing parliament.

cup of tea drinking GIF by WDR

9 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.