UK government plans to define as "extremist" anyone who “undermines the country’s institutions and its values”

Originally published at: UK government plans to define as "extremist" anyone who "undermines the country's institutions and its values" | Boing Boing

7 Likes

This definition would, of course, also include political parties such as the Scottish Nationalist Party and Plaid Cymru. But likely wouldn’t include parties like Reclaim or Reform UK (which both basically derive from ‘English Nationalist’ parties), because they’d claim they were about the UK, not just regions.
What a shocker.

22 Likes

So J.K. Rowling is an extremist, but only because of the witchcraft? That doesn’t sound right.

8 Likes

So, people who pushed for privatization, austerity and Brexit?

27 Likes

One traditional “British value” is a belief that the government should not dictate “British values”.

25 Likes

define as “extremist” anyone who “undermines the country’s institutions and its values”

Well thats the entire Tory party labled as extremist right off the bat then… :wink:

24 Likes

Expert opinions on the state of the country’s institutions and values will be especially suspect. This is Gove, after all.

10 Likes

I assume that tories aren’t on the list; because reasons?

12 Likes

Because they are the ones writing the list.

16 Likes

Just here to applaud Beschizza’s imagery on that post. Good lord, it’s horrific.

17 Likes

"… Today, institutions fundamental to the British system of government are under attack. The public schools, the House of Lords, the Church of England, the holy institution of marriage, even our magnificent police force are no longer safe from those who would undermine our society. And it’s about time we said enough is enough, and saw a return to traditional British values of discipline, obedience, morality, and freedom.

Freedom from the reds, and the blacks, and the criminals. Prostitutes, pansies, and punks. Football hooligans, juvenile delinquents, lesbians, and left-wing scum … Freedom from the long-haired layabouts of students. Freedom from the likes of YOU!!!"
Power in the Darkness, Tom Robinson Band

From 1978, so I guess nothing at all has changed.

Also, note for US readers: the “public schools” he’s referring to aren’t public schools in the US sense; they’re the elite private schools that produced Boris Johnson and David Cameron and their friends.

Also, C/W for anyone clicking the YouTube link above: his satirical rant (delivered in a cut-glass upper-class accent) has one line that includes a number of racial slurs that you might prefer not to hear. Good song, though.

14 Likes

A proposal to criminalise anyone who “undermines the country’s institutions and its values” coming from the same government that was found to have unlawfully prorogued Parliament.

15 Likes
8 Likes

Dissent is a UK value. Making this list puts you on this list.

18 Likes

“Extreme” seems like a terrible word to even include in any legal context, as it has no quality, only quantity. The dose makes the poison might be true in some contexts, but sounds like a terrible idea applied to politics and legality.

And they would do well to remember, “extremism in the pursuit of liberty is no vice, moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue”. Ideas should be judged on the merits, not just splitting the baby in half and calling it a day.

10 Likes

Scottish National Party, not Nationalist.

7 Likes

I hope they crash and burn at the next election but, peeple are peeple so anything could happen, oh hell…

6 Likes

And quite possibly National Car Parks.

3 Likes

One does abhor the noise and ruckus that disturbs one’s afternoon tea. Perhaps locking up a few of the rabble and shipping them orf somewhere unpleasant may help restore one’s peace and quiet. Rule Britannia!

4 Likes

I was going to say that the Tories are trying to destroy everything I care about, to the point where I don’t feel safe here anymore. All the institutions and values are already disappearing, and they are the ones doing it.

You can add “culture war, and destroying the welfare state” to that list.

Real Life Petunia Dursley only wishes she was a witch. There is nothing magical about her, but she fooled us for a couple of decades.

11 Likes