UK High Court's insane ruling: ripping CDs is illegal again

[Read the post]

1 Like

Ultimately the disc is a method of paying for the right to listen to the music on it as much as it is to use it as a coaster, frisbee, mirror or bird scarer.

How I choose to listen to it in a world where several rightsholders profit from devices that allow me to rip it and listen to it on other devices containing components made by them as well and various courts & legistlative bodies wasting valuable time because of those self same rightsholders lobbying on something that will never be enforced is a satire on late era capitalism of the highest order.

As Steve Albini said in his speech about the music industry that was linked to on the site a few weeks ago, it’s been released. Look up what the word released actually means.

4 Likes

17 Likes

Ripping harms the rights holders? Ripping enables me to use what I purchase, making purchases more likely. I’m totally screwing those guys by buying their product. Apparently.

15 Likes

I’m thinking they must be smoking some really BAD shit over there!

1 Like

I for one would love to see how do they intend to enforce it. I wouldn’t bet on widespread public compliance.

4 Likes

Isn’t copyright supposed to protect against commercial imitations? To keep me from selling your music?

How could it possibly be applied to in-home use?

I guess they want to sell a song once for every speaker in your home, and a video once for every screen…

7 Likes

[quote=“NickSay, post:7, topic:60122, full:true”]I guess they want to sell a song once for every speaker in your home, and a video once for every screen…
[/quote]Also, for every person watching it. Or have we all forgotten when the XBoxOne was going to limit video playback based upon the number of people the Kinect detected in the room?

6 Likes

it’s not called sellingright

Can I still rip my 8-track tapes to cassette, though? How about Super8 to Beta?

1 Like

I put it to the *IAA’s that, if they want to make a little bit of money every time someone rips a cd at home to format-shift, etc, they should probably just buy some Apple stock. It would save a lot of unpleasantness all round.

2 Likes

maybe the same way ascap, or hdmi fees work. tax everybody, and give monoplies a perpetual revenue stream to help keep competition and the public weal firmly underfoot.

1 Like

Shudder

I’d like to see someone concoct an argument revolving around the idea that because upsampling and anti-skip buffering CD players exist and are legal, that the way they send a signal to the DAC amounts to format-shifting, and that the idea of format-shifting for home use can be derived therefrom.

1 Like

…cue the lawyers that’ll then demand pay-for-play charges.

2 Likes

“…the even loonier European Copyright Directive”

Don’t you mean “the even loonier UK court”?

ridiculous! if you bought a song you should be able to media shift it any way you choose for use on any device you choose.

1 Like

Crap like this is the reason I stopped buying music years ago. If I have the opportunity to support an artist directly, and I enjoy the music, then I will provide that support. If it has to go to a label, well, sorry, nobody gets my money then.

1 Like

I think the plan is to tax blank media, which is a sketchy proposition, given that traditional music media like CD-Rs are obsolete, dedicated digital players are losing ground to PDAs, and it would be hard to argue that memory cards are primarily used to store music.

2 Likes

R.I.P. Mix. Burn.