UK police arrest man built anti-immigrant nail-bomb, decline to press terrorism charges

He’s had an easier ride than the Russian student who was prosecuted under terrorism charges in Newcastle.

The never ending war on terror succeeds again. Just realize that “terror” actually means ‘brown people’.

2 Likes

So just to reiterate: It’s either be racist or be classist, you can’t be both. Hence, the UK is off the hook. Congrats! “I didn’t kill him because he was black, I killed him because he was poor.”

You can be both. Just add both the bonuses for class and race when you make your legal-defense dice roll.

5 Likes

All bonuses for privilege stack :wink:

2 Likes

I group them under luck. Same effect without using a fashionable buzzword.

Quite right, because nail bombs can have so many innocent uses – such as paneling an entire basement in one go.

7 Likes

I’m submitting that for the next season of Myth Busters!

2 Likes

Now why can’t I get “Sweet and Tender Hooligan” out of my head?

1 Like

You do realise there are, even now, still probably more white non-muslim people in jail in the UK on terrorism charges than brown people right?

You know there is that whole IRA terrorism thing Americans like to forget was largely funded by Irish-Americans.

Yours truly was evacuated from a swimming pool when I was a child of 8 or so because of an IRA bomb threat and had to stand in a car park in my swimming trunks wrapped in a foil blanked (the IRA generally did call in bombs) until the all clear was given and that took ages.

That he didn’t like immigrants and wrote as much didn’t mean there was any evidence there was a plan to use the device which would likely be required for terrorism offences. He seems to have been charged appropriately.

Do we know that? Or do you assume that?

The lawyer complaining in the article is the lawyer of someone there is compelling enough evidence to prosecute under terror offences and having intent.

Can you find a record of a British court prosecuting terrrorism offences without evidence of intent to use them?

If you’re going to make statements regarding relative racial mix of sectors of the prison population please provide at least some indication of where your figures come from so that we can form some reasonable opinion of how accurate they are.

Point taken on the IRA funding thing. It's one of those peculiar blind spots that seems to plague US thinking and one of those things that winds me up every time I see a US politician decrying terrorism. Having spent most of my youthful years on military bases (my father worked for the Ministry of Defence), my life was made a great deal more inconvenient and worry-laden by frequent US-funded bomb threats and having to check the car for US-funded bombs every time the family wanted to use it.

However, I think the case here is rather independent of any concerns of trans-national approaches to terrorism. And it comes down to whether this individual was treated unfairly in comparison to other cases where terrorist acts were not carried out but where there was some question of whether a) there was intent to and b) whether intent mattered.

Without full access to the court proceedings it’s hard to determine whether it was reasonable to consider there to be intent but from what is available it seems entirely reasonable to infer it. In addition, there is plenty of case history where intent was not deemed to be required for prosecution under the terror laws (which, I agree, are incredibly badly written and implemented). The conclusion, then, that he was treated differently to how a Muslim would have been under similar circumstances is a reasonable one to make.

2 Likes

Then there is the pet peeve of mine, their history of funding (and that weren’t just Irish-Americans but US taxpayers in general) the paramilitary groups over Latin America. My ex-prez, a human-rights big cheese, never said a word against it; another pet peeve of mine.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.