UK politician stabbed to death at public meeting

Originally published at: UK politician stabbed to death at public meeting | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Psst-- Jo Cox, not Joe.

17 Likes

Almost makes it sound like it’s been a while, but honestly, two members of parliament murdered in 5 years surpasses even the US…

21 Likes

Here’s the Drugs episode of BrassEye

Who will advocate for the control of made-up drugs now?

12 Likes

This is why I don’t go to meetings.

14 Likes

It’s surprisingly rare in the US, really. The last MC to be killed in office (other than the fellow who was on KAL 007) was Leo Ryan, killed right before the Jonestown Massacre.

7 Likes

Amess was one of those Tory MPs that continually made me wonder why anyone would ever vote Tory and that I would never understand those who do. I’m still horrified by this story.

11 Likes

True of Congress, but of course, other U.S. politicians have been assassinated fairly recently.

Killed along with Harvey Milk by Dan White.

Anyway, off topic really. This thread is about the killing of a UK politician.

6 Likes

Gabby Giffords survived, but she was attacked in 2011.

7 Likes

It’s hard to fathom those two body blows coming to San Francisco within 9 days of one another – Jonestown and then Moscone/Milk – Willie Brown said he’s never really trusted anyone he’s met since then, since he trusted Jim Jones. I was eight at the time, but I remember the shock of it to my folks, even in the East Bay.

4 Likes

And Steve Scalise in 2017.

4 Likes

Psst! GB News – worse than your usual Daily Mail source.

8 Likes

Amess, 69, served his suburban Essex constituency since 1983

He served his current constituency since 1997. He served a different constituency from 1983 to 1997.

7 Likes

Welcome to garbage island, we still have our ‘hold my drink’ moments of awfulness. Politics has turned unbelievably toxic in the last few years, since…well, you know.

It’s a close run thing but i think the Daily Heil still holds that crown.

13 Likes

I mean, if you manage to avoid everybody, your chances of being murdered are virtually nil. I’m avoiding everybody right now!

14 Likes

One word – Farage

4 Likes

Well yeah but i’d have way more of an issue with Fromage writing for the Daily Heil where people actually read the damn thing than appearing on a failing news channel to scream his bigoted views into a void.

7 Likes

Oh, man. :musical_score: United Kingdom… U’kay?

4 Likes

You’re just forcing the murderers to be more inventive and wide-reaching!

5 Likes

I looked into his politics when I heard about his murder, and a lot of it is exactly what you’d expect from an older Catholic Tory; opposition to abortion and gay marriage, strong Euroskepticism and supporting Brexit, and so on. But he was also big on animal welfare and animal rights, frex. opposing badger culling and supporting the banning of fox hunting. All in all, I got the feeling that he was a person, and not just a political caricature of one, unlike all too many right-wing politicians in both UK and US, and elsewhere for that matter.

15 Likes