UK Prices soar as food inflation hits record highs

Hmm. Maybe Ocado’s the problem? Four cans of Sainsbury’s tomatoes is £1.80. Even their most expensive (Cirio) is £1.15.

Though I’m not saying I haven’t noticed a lot of price increases myself BTW.

I don’t know about @abides, but I end up buying from Waitrose/Ocado because they are the only shop that has a range of food that doesn’t trigger my onion allergy. I don’t know what will happen if it becomes too expensive, or they “improve” the recipes like all the other shops have.

This has been a problem for a long time.

9 Likes

I don’t know if I mentioned it, but I had a colleague who was in the same boat as you, pretty severe allium allergy, and he was overjoyed to find Jain food. It’s an odd allergy, plenty of people have it, but it’s not one of the top ten, so it doesn’t get included in many lists of allergens, or catered to, as guten does for example.

6 Likes

Unfortunately for us coeliacs Jain food has a propensity for hing as an allium replacement and that has gluten (usually, I think it technically doesn’t need it but I’ve never seen it without).

3 Likes

Yeah, I think I’d only recommend Jain stuff for people with Allium intolerances/allergies, I’ve got my aesofetida in powder form, so i guess it’s mixed with wheat… you have to go light with that stuff, it’s seriously potent.

3 Likes

Hing tastes of onion?

I doubt I could get it past my learned gag reflex. Unlearning it will take a long time and it’s there to stop me making myself ill.

3 Likes

Hing is also very traditional for your spiced oil tarka/tadka for daal. I live without it now of course but it was what I mostly used it for.

Hare Krishna food uses it too, for similar reasons to the Jain I think.

http://www.food.krishna.com/article/why-no-garlic-or-onions

3 Likes

Supposedly it has quite a few sulfur compounds, which are a lot of the onion/allium taste, but I don’t think it has the particular sugar that is present in alliums and causes the allergy.

Supposedly you can get it in pure form, sort of a gel/paste, and there is no wheat adulteration. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tastekar-Gluten-Compounded-Asafoetida-Powder-50/dp/B09D3XCVGX?th=1

1 Like

I can’t buy store brand tomatoes, they have too many bits of skin and stem to pass the kid test. I used to use Sainsbury’s for delivery, but felt like arguing about missing/incorrect items or inappropriate substitutes (would literally substitute meat for meat alternatives) was a full time job. We only have Locals and Expresses nearby. A shop at a big store is a cab ride, a bus ride, or an unpleasant bike on a very busy road, and I sold my cargo bike. So Ocado it is for us.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.