UK "psychic" threatens legal action against sceptic

“I’m not sure this is the thread for that discussion though!”

It isn’t! But someone starting a new thread about it is just fine.

1 Like

Keep in mind that these phony psychics can be very damaging and exploitative. An extreme case occurred with the Ariel Castro kidnappings in Cleveland: “psychic” Sylvia Brown told the mother of victim Amanda Berry that Berry was dead. This must have seemed like a safe bet, but it was, by all accounts, very hard on Berry’s mother. If you’re up there making the safe guesses, some are inevitably going to be wrong, and there’s no way to know what kind of wrong they’re going to be. These people cannot be treated as harmless.

4 Likes

I wanted to find a specific image I had in mind but when there’s a sea, you can’t ask it to not be a sea:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=closed+due+to+unforeseen+circumstances&biw=786&bih=740&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=EWc1VI3gDOf_ywPs_IKwCg&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

1 Like

Hawking: WHY ARE YOU HERE? WHY ARE YOU DISTRIBUTING PAMPHLETS?

Preacher: Just trying to spread the word.

Hawking: THIS IS MY BUSINESS! LEAVE OR I WILL VICIOUSLY RUN OVER YOUR FOOT WITH MY WHEELCHAIR! NOTHING PERSONAL!

Joke of the Weak! :smile:

1 Like

One could easily hand out leaflets that show efficacy by listing how well the substance did against placebo – probably not much different for stuff like “happy pills”.

1 Like

Streisand effect again! A man handing out leaflets is not much of a story, but a man being threatened with physical violence for handing out leaflets is another thing entirely. Just imagine if this catches on elsewhere.

Good point I think, but I consider trying to ‘save’ people as poor form. When people are at a hospital I wish them well. When people visit a psychic I hope they get what they want.

1 Like

A ‘fix’ for their more unhealthy and self-enforced ignorance whilst failing to deal with the underlying problem of their grief? A compounding of their lack of closure? Nightmare fuel for when they undoubtedly question the truth of the performance they have forced themselves through?

2 Likes

If I were to ask if these are rhetorical questions, would that question itself be a rhetorical question?

Are you psychic!?
How could you possibly know those were rhetorical questions?

Quick, where did my Auntie Edna hide the kids money?

2 Likes

Nononono. The psychic is in the other thread.

3 Likes

Now that is spooky.

I started in that one and ended up over here.

Where’s my wristwatch!?

1 Like

If a relative or close friend was going to throw a bunch of money down on a psychic I’m pretty sure I’d be having a discussion with them about it and they would most likely know that my position wouldn’t be favorable. But if they were committed to it, I would give them my best wishes and respect.

If no money was involved, I might be interested in checking it out myself.

I see the Good Thinking Society as being another type of Ayn Rand trip likely to fuel another neoconservative movement. This is my prediction as a non-psychic.

‘Don’t hate the player, hate the game’?

1 Like

Good question. Sorry about my snarky first reply.

The Good Thinking Society kind of frightens me more than a few mystical charlatans, but maybe that’s because I’m not a particularly good thinker. When they come to power they’ll come after me first.

1 Like

Well, they are obviously concerned with gathering their ‘thoughts’, so you may not be so delusional.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.