UK says OK to Huawei

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/28/uk-says-ok-to-huawei.html

1 Like

I know.

"Lets interlock ourselves to a heavy economic degree with a worst case mashup of Authoritarian surveillance state, and then let their newly minted wealthy plutocrats buy up real estate and political influence in our country.

I’m sure we’ll be spreading democracy in their country more than they rub off on us!!"

6 Likes

If (a big if) the UK is serious about maintaining the high risk designation of Huawei and it ensures its 5G core is built by other companies, this seems like a reasonable approach. Huawei is arguably the world leader in 5G and it would help with the roll out of the technology while minimizing the risks. And it would ensure redundancy in the suppliers of 5G hardware.

1 Like

The trouble is, right now there is no redundancy, no diversity. Huawei sent more people to the meetings and filed more patents than anyone. They’ve simply invested more in it than other companies, and they are ahead. A decision not to use Huawei means a decision to effectively delay the 5G roll-out, which supposedly costs the economy <hand wavy>-billion dollars a year. The UK has previously expressed they want that money more than they distrust a Chinese vendor.

1 Like

That’s why I had my if caveat, though I’m honestly not fully understanding the situation.

What a great time to start trying to build a home-grown solution to this (I know, I know…this is not easy stuff and it will take years to get to the same level that Huawei can provide right now. And that’s why we need to start ASAP).

Other companies will have equivalent 5G equipment in 2 years (maybe less now). It was a publically-developed standard. Huawei just invested more time/energy/manpower – both to creating the standard and to implementing it on their hardware – than some other companies, so they’re ready now. If you’re in a country that’s in no hurry to have 5G, the wait is not that bad. There is, as I said, some opportunity cost to the delay which some analysts rank in the billions.

Other than the drumbeat of smartphone improvements, several industries are anxious to use 5G technology to get good bandwidth for service that otherwise would require expensive cable roll-outs. For example, I’ve heard talk of a 5G-based television service, though I can’t say how effective that actually is, or what level of service that would get you at scale. Being able to roll out a service without any underlying infrastructure is pretty attractive.

1 Like

Not allowing the West a backdoor is what the Huawei uproar is about.

I just want to say that the rhyme headline is sublime.

5 Likes

Sorry, are you talking about America/Facebook/Google here?

More than a few people have stated that the White House’s opposition to the UK’s use of Huawei is actually more to do with American protectionism related to its own tech vendors.

UK to Chinese telecoms giant: From 5G in Tiree to the Isles of Ebony, carry me on the waves… Sail Huawei, sail Huawei, sail Huawei

1 Like

As good as Xeni’s headline is, you gotta love the El Reg headline writers, bless 'em.

(and @ikeOnABike)

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.