White House: Dell, Microsoft, AT&T, others working on open standard for 5G tech to counter China's Huawei

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/04/white-house-pushes-u-s-tech-f.html

1 Like

In that case, the USA should see 5G some time around the close of the century, sooner if we get tRump out, maybe…

3 Likes

Didn’t AT&T let the NSA set up a terminal in their buildings to spy on us?

3 Likes

That’s every tech or telecom company. They’ve all got at least one closet nobody’s allowed to open.

2 Likes

Should I bother reading a tech article planted in WSJ by WH officials?

“Let” might not be the best verb, but the outcome is the same.

What i don’t understand is why this work wasn’t done to begin with. Even taking Huawei entirely out of the equation why didn’t US telecoms develop standards for 5G? I know they don’t give a fuck about spending on infrastructure but this is beyond an oops… its on a different scale of negligence.

4 Likes

So, b/c Huawei won’t give the US gov’t a backdoor to their hardware, now the gov’t wants to piggyback additional tracking data on our 5G transmissions?

My understanding from reading Matt Stoller’s column on monopolies is that they’d basically given up working on Telecom because it wasn’t profitable enough anymore. They outsourced so much of it to China that it then became unprofitable to create and manufacture it here in the states, because all the big companies were sourcing it from overseas.

Now we straight up don’t have the capacity to produce it at scale unless it suddenly becomes necessary enough for the government to seed fund it.

2 Likes

That’s every tech or telecom company. They’ve all got at least one closet nobody’s allowed to open.

Except for Qwest who… Oh, never mind.

1 Like

I didn’t follow the WSJ jump because it’s behind a paywall. Are they talking about ORAN? If so, calling it a 5G Alternative isn’t quite right. It’s more like a particular 5G enabler, and Huawei stepped away from it (even though they were originally invited to participate, if I recall correctly).

BTW, AT&T is a supporter. Remember all the nasty things we wrote on Boing Boing about the FCC, the White House, AT&T, et.al. about net neutrality? Spoiler alert: it applies here too.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.