UK Special Forces veto immigration applications for Afghan troops they fought with

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/06/22/uk-special-forces-veto-immigration-applications-for-afghan-troops-they-fought-with.html

11 Likes

And they’re sneaking this news out in the middle of an election campaign so that it will be overshadowed by campaign news.

The Westminster government has form on this, as it passed legislation last year to make sure that it’s armed forces and security services have immunity from prosecution for anything they did in the north of Ireland during the troubles.

16 Likes

The Tories always try to one-up conservatives elsewhere when it comes to gratuitous cruelty (which, as we know, is the point).

16 Likes

This is the most Conservative story ever: treachery to those who fought for you, racism, cruelty to immigrants, corruption, and war crimes.

It’s a pretty perfect synechdoche for the whole of English Toryism.

21 Likes

Sneaking things out when nobody is looking is a venerable tradition.

10 Likes

ISTR a similar scandal in the US a few years ago, where Afghan and Iraqi translators were denied immigration visas and ended up in danger.

14 Likes

“Never trust a Tory” can now be joined by “Never trust the Special Forces”, too.

Absolutely they did not want those Afghans available to be interviewed about the war crimes they may have witnessed.

11 Likes

A shitty tradition, but yeah.

13 Likes
11 Likes

Perfidious Albion illustrating how it got its moniker. It’s not as if the Afghans don’t have experience dealing with British imperial duplicity, but I guess those were desperate men.

7 Likes

Canada went low and slow.

7 Likes

That’s so fucked up. And the US isn’t much better. I know more than one veteran who was pissed they couldn’t get their translators immigrated to the US. Though I’ve seen the US accused of apathy, not trying to cover up war crimes

5 Likes

This needs many, many more YT views and likes!

3 Likes

this-is-so-correct

3 Likes

Pretty sure the US insists it has immunity from prosecution for war crimes. And it extends that to the armies of shady mercenaries they now fund and funnel into war zones.

7 Likes

True, but I don’t think leaving Afghan and Iraqi translators and others who aided us on the GWoT out to dry was due to any efforts to silence any war crimes they might have seen.

No they didn’t. They signed up for replacing US/UK forces in Afghanistan. They are, though, clearly eligible for the ARAP scheme, that they are being denied is awful and typical.

2 Likes

US and UK doing the Darth Vader MBA

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.