UK, Sweden top daily Covid death rate

From Folkhälsomyndighetens homepage you can see that 1971 people have died in Stockholm, 829 per million. For Skåne, I can’t find numbers speficically for the city of Malmö, 157 people have died, 143 per million. The regional differences are pretty large. Supposedly Copenhagen is worse affected than Malmö.

2 Likes

Thanks. That’s still around twice the per-capita death rate of Oslo, but comparable to some regions in Denmark.

2 Likes

Lo and behold, looking again (and properly this time) at the data I can give you this:

These are NOT death statistics, but confirmed cases, for Skåne (where we have the Malmö region) and Västra Götaland (SW Sweden with Gothenburg, Sweden’s second largest city, and where I live). As been reported, those two regions lag behind Stockholm and are not in a down slope yet.

Improving, me believe my spreadsheet mojo is, yes…

EDIT:
The link to the agency data is: https://www.arcgis.com/sharing/rest/content/items/b5e7488e117749c19881cce45db13f7e/data, for those who would enjoy fiddling with numbers and the Swedish language.

ANOTHER EDIT:
I believe I missed to note that the rolling average is per 1 million. Mojo, after all, not that strong, eeeh…

4 Likes

Thanks, that’s pretty interesting, especially the lack of decrease.

those who would enjoy fiddling with numbers and the Swedish language.

Numbers don’t faze me, but I already have enough trouble with Norwegian.

Correct, he didn’t. But further to that, much further, he was going on daytime tv programmes and talking about herd immunity which was governemnt policy at the time. He was quite happy to sit there and accept the untold numbers of deaths which would have been the result as this thing swept across the land. It isn’t just cruel and perverse to think this once was policy, which it is, but positively murderous and inhumane. This will be his lasting legacy until the day he fucking dies, i can but hope anyway. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

I’m on a roll…

Here’s the comparison between Västra Götaland and Stockholm. It is Stockholm that’s taken the brunt of the pandemic and that’s where we see a decline. It is also Stockholm that is the epicenter, and it has spread from there out into the regions.
As someone pointed out in another thread at BB. The Italian/south Europe breakout coincided remarkably unfortunate with the Stockhom Winter break week (w. 9), when many, many swedes went skiing in the Alps, including north Italy (wonderful slopes and price worthy) and where the virus had brewed for a couple of weeks already but the alarm didn’t sound high enough.
It seems to have turned into a perfect storm when they all came home and went to visit there old folks to say hi and hand over chocolate and liqueur… I’m speculating, of course, but it could be a qualitative take on the statistics. Had the Italian outbreak been two weeks earlier, when the west coast regions have their Winter break week, it would be Gothenburg that was the epicenter.

Had the Italian outbreak had the decency to hold off for a couple of weeks…

2 Likes

That was probably me. I was aware of it because exactly the same thing happened here; during the first early breakout in Norway they traced maybe half the cases back to a place called Ischl in Tyrol during the national break week. (Though I thought the Swedish break was a week earlier than the Norwegian break.) All the early cases seemed to be skiing doctors bringing the virus back to the hospitals where they worked. Norway probably avoided a much worse problem by initiating its quarantine pretty early on, after it realized that the problem was skiing its way into the country.

2 Likes

Political situation in Poland right now isn’t really comparable to Philippines, Brazil or Hungary. I’d even say that it’s way better than what is happening in US right now.
The low numbers in Poland are mostly due to early lockdown and mandatory mask wearing (Though there’s currently an outbreak in Silesian voivodeship). Government’s response to current crisis was adequate to this point - I really hope they won’t mess it up.

3 Likes

It’s Ischgl with a g, and it’s not just any place it’s a legendary party location for those that are into cheap après ski excesses and a legendary embarrassment for the rest of us.

6 Likes

Too late. Already happened. :frowning:

1 Like

My mental spell-check won’t let me type words with more than 4 consonants in a row.

5 Likes

If it’s any consolation, it’s only three consonant phonemes in a row. It’s only the idiosyncratic spelling of the German postalveolar fricative that makes it into a mess of graphemes.

5 Likes

… the United States …

2 Likes

a mess of graphemes.

It sounds like the whole place was a mess of coronavirus, however you say or spell it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Looks like a lighthearted comment to me.

3 Likes

Damn! beat me to it. The undercount is so severe in the US now I’m surprised a European agency even bothered to include us in a chart.

1 Like

Yup, sounds reasonable.

Worth to remember is the increase on the west coast also somewhat coincides with the increase in testing among health care workers as I understand it. Even though there is an increase in cases in other regions, deaths and intensive care cases are decreasing. Here in Västerbotten the peak in cases was expected to be right now, but it seems like the curve has been flattened to the point that the peak hopefully have already occured.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.