Ukeleles: Everyone's playing them (early 20th-c. vintage ads)

[Permalink]

Better than extra good? Now Iā€™ve heard everything!

All people who didnā€™t grow up with creepy Tiny Tim was regularly on network TV playing his stupid Ukelele. I had nightmares as a kid of Tiny Tim.

Heaps! Glorious heaps!!

1 Like

This post was obviously for me and a very small, close circle of friends. :slight_smile:

We worked for many years at a wonderful, confusing, infuriating, but awesome second hand music store that specialized in obscure instruments. Banjo-ukes lined a wall, surrounded by beautiful vintage (and sometimes koa) ukes. Next to them were the ouds, balalaikas, bouzoukis; then the hurdy gurdys, Hardanger fiddle (singular), arch-top mandolins (edit: and a few ā€˜bowl backā€™ mandos, though i canā€™t think of their proper name), and near-turn-century Gibson/Martin guitars.

Of course I was the woodwind/brass guy, so I got to see even weirder stuff. But that is a tale for another time :smiley:

5 Likes

I had to look up ā€œBanjo-ukesā€ to see if it was the same as a Banjolele and it is! Of course, I only know what a banjolele is because it caused a rift in the Wooster household.

2 Likes

so, everyone knows about the portugese immigrants that brought the ukelele to hawaii, right?

CSB: I was at a show in LA a few weeks ago, and low and behold Hugh Laurie was seated two rows behind me. Everyone was super polite and left him alone, except one lady that walked past, did a double take, then pointed and covered her mouth at the same time. It was priceless.

1 Like

(early twentieth century ads)

Thanks for clarifying that the modern ukelele sensation thatā€™s currently sweeping the nation has deep roots

Just like they brought the instrument that came to be known as the cuatro to Latin America.

ā€œHi-de hi-de hi-de hi, Sirā€

1 Like

what can i say, i adored the fry/laurie interpretation as well :smiley:

1 Like

Now see, a real method actor would have learned to play the instrument as written instead of substituting one he already knows how to play. :wink:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.