Ukraine was focus of Trump 'promise' in whistleblower complaint

Which would go down like a sack of putrid vomit with his ‘friend’ Putin. Interesting strategy, you’ve got there, Mr Humpty Dumpty.

4 Likes

Basically we’re going to get a drip of information every day until the the whistleblower complaint is sent to congress. This is why there is an internal process. You break the process and people pull a Snowden.

6 Likes

Thank you, Xeni, for using scare quotes on Trump’s official title. I think this should be added to the house style of as many news sources as possible: Today, “President” Donald Trump, who never won an Emmy, told reporters…

11 Likes

Can we impeach Trump yet?

3 Likes

Charles Pierce at Esquire always makes sure to call him President* (where the * is that classic sports label for something now considered illegitimate.)

7 Likes

How much money do you have in your pocket?

10 Likes

Well I am still waiting for the full story to figure out how to feel on this. It certainly is alarming that he did something so out of the norm the intelligence community is in a buzz. But I can’t determine how bad it is based on vague information.

Somebody called foul on a person or persons holding Yankee Whites.

How bad do you think that might be?

2 Likes

The tin-foil angle (as @G_r_ld_z_n_r mentioned) is that Trump has asked Ukraine to investigate Biden’s son’s dealings in the country… planning for a 2020 October surprise. The juiciest theory I’ve heard is that Bolton was fired because he went to Ukraine and basically told them not to bother (this theory presupposes that Bolton is not loyal to Trump, so make of that what you will). As they say, “big if true!”

3 Likes

I don’t know what Yankee Whites is.

I think this could be VERY bad.

But it could be just more typical corruption we’ve seen where he manages to skirt the grey area enough to not suffer from it.

I don’t know enough to know how deep I should dig my fall out shelter.

3 Likes

crazy thing that keeps happening underTrump: scandal happens but details are only available through anonymous sources. eventually the hubub dies down because Trump denies and no official source confirms. Several months later some official source (like the Muller report) does confirm the reporting was absolutely accurate. by that time it’s not new and not shocking, so no one cares. (this is infuriating to me)

11 Likes

FYI

4 Likes

Putin understands that Trump needs to smear the likely Democratic candidate. He also understands that Trump needs to throw a bone to Ukraine to give the impression that he is not a Russian puppet. Surely this is a price worth paying for ensuring that his man is returned to the White House.

4 Likes

And that’s not discussing the payoff, which sees Biff standing by in a second term while Vlad gobbles up eastern Ukraine and his “friend” in Ukraine (who is likely unfamiliar with the NYC real estate industry over the past 40 years) crying out “you stiffed me! How could you?”

4 Likes

He also understands that a promise from Trump and $5 will get you $5 worth of hamberders at McDonalds. Trump saying he’s going to do something for Ukraine and Trump actually doing something for Ukraine are two very different things.

7 Likes

I should think it was more of a stick than a carrot, as in “You’re gonna help me get reelected or I’m gonna look the other way when Russia goes full Red Dawn on you.” Not that he’d actually ever defy anything Russia does.

3 Likes

“I did it, so what?”

TrumpDicksInFace

6 Likes

Just my take, but I think the bravado is how Trump talks when talking to a third party about someone. In person when meeting someone for the first time Trump is a suck-up. Trump is afraid of conflict, and will never threaten anyone if that person might resist or fight back. Hence firing staff over Twitter.

6 Likes

I think you’re right. I just hope that Ukraine realizes that they have nothing to gain from working with the U.S. right now.

1 Like

I’m told he is my favorite president, and so are you.