Ultimate Oldschool PC Font Pack hits v2.0

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/17/ultimate-oldschool-pc-font-pac.html

4 Likes

I’m downloading right now.

4 Likes

In my jurisdiction the bitmap forms are public domain. I can ignore the generous and liberal creative commons license. I use an old versions of this fontpack for 8/9 bit views in multiple languages for an ANSi art viewer I wrote.

I highly recommend this pack for those looking to consume TTF. It’s a little bit of a chore for those of us that use X11 bitmpa (BDF/PCF), or PSF console font format. But still reasonable to extract with the right tools.

2 Likes

You can preview the fonts on their font list

https://int10h.org/oldschool-pc-fonts/fontlist/

2 Likes

Before you waste your time, this seems to be just for Intel and Intel clone type machines of the DOS era and related. I didn’t see anything from the majority of machines of the time, the 8-bit machines from Commodore, Apple, Atari, etc. Oh well.

1 Like

Those fonts you’re looking for have already been covered well enough by other people (look up KreativeKorp’s Retro Computing fonts for instance), so I saw no reason to duplicate their efforts. IBM PC fonts had never really received decent coverage elsewhere, so that’s what the collection is all about.

I get that the “PC” in the title can be interpreted as generic “personal computers” instead of the intended shorthand for “IBM PCs and compatibles”, but that’s spelled out clearly in the short blurb on the front page, so the ‘waste’ of your valuable time shouldn’t have been more than the few seconds it takes to read. :man_shrugging:

7 Likes

Welcome to BoingBoing, and thanks for your work!

5 Likes

I admit I both felt like @tyger11, but I also like your page and how you cleared up my misconception from the get-go. Nice work!

2 Likes

ezgif.com-add-text

1 Like

Careful, you’ll need 9 floppies and about an hour to download all 12.43MB

4 Likes

Monty Python__Luxury_phixr

(78 floppies, if we’re talking MS-DOS 1.0. And I refuse to even think about the amount of time this would take to download over a 400 baud acoustic coupler. Sending tapes via mail would probably be faster from/to no matter where.)

4 Likes
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.

- Andrew S. Tanenbaum

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.