Unapologetic Old Navy staff accuses black man of stealing his own jacket. Now they are unemployed

Good news, shoppers! If you’re being racially profiled and harassed, all you need to do is capture it on video, get definitive proof that you’re being subject to racism, and not get an apology at the time. Then the company will do something! Progress!
(Sadly this is progress.)

“If it’s policy to scan the store-brand clothes people are wearing, why aren’t you scanning all those guys?”
“Oh, that’s because they’re whi - oh, whoops, I didn’t mean to say that.

The secret tracking chip sewn into the lining of all their clothing? I mean, it must be that, otherwise the statement wouldn’t make any sense. (Clearly we need to be spreading the word that Old Navy, as part of the global New World Order conspiracy has secret tracking chips in all its clothing.)

10 Likes

I don’t know how Old Navy operates but working at Kohls years ago (and as far as i know it hasn’t changed on this) the tags inside are just generic item numbers, and the sewn soft security chips are only in high priced clothes and are there only to set off the machine at the door. There’s no way to tell if a particular jacket has been bought previously, unless Old Navy has a fancy system for that that i haven’t seen anywhere else. And the jacket could have been gifted or bought on a card he no longer uses. So their reasoning for “scanning” his jacket seems like bullshit to me at every angle, which obviously it was.

4 Likes

Tryin’ real, real hard to believe that this had zero to do with harpooning talk of boycotts.

1 Like

Permanent RFID tags sewn into clothing creeps me out, man.

3 Likes

I’d argue that if you’re a manager, and you find that your employees have profiled someone, and accused them unjustly, I’d argue that an appropriate investigation ends with profuse apologizing, firing said cashiers etc… on the spot in front of the profiled individual, etc… not just hiding away in some office somewhere, and waiting for corporate HQ to step up to the plate (which thankfully they seem to have done, regardless of what their motivation may have been).

3 Likes

Shannon Plagman. Sadly she’s deleted her Twitter account.

Note, I’m not outing her. Her last full name has been trending on Twitter. I post it here only as a middle finger to the racist piece of shit who knows she’s a racist piece of shit and hence tried to hide her last name.

No offense to you, but this is bullcrap. A district manager does not take orders from a store manager. She was complicit. And she knew it, or she would not have refused to give her last name. They were both out of line. As @Grey_Devil noted, it wasn’t their job, and it’s up to Loss Prevention to notice what customers wear on the way into the store. Beau Carter and Shannon Plagman went out of their way to racial profile and humiliate a man for the color of his skin. Period.

Of course it’s bullshit. These employees were lying to cover their own racist discrimination. I’ve shopped at plenty of stores wearing previous purchases there and never once have I been asked to scan my own property at checkout. Moreover, that’s not how point-of-sale systems work. You’d have scan the card used to purchase the item and then look up the sales records for that customer around the date and time they made the purchase, and not all PoS systems make that information available to the user at checkout, and it doesn’t work at all if the person paid cash. Moreover, doing that for every customer would slow down lines and take so much time the worker is paid for that no retail company would ever seriously consider such an idiotic soviet-style policy. And finally, white people would almost universally tell them to go fuck themselves with varying degrees of politeness.

Anyone excusing the blatantly racist actions of these employees has either decided to forgo critical reasoning in their clueless quest to avoid seeing the obvious racism, or they’re deliberately obfuscating what’s plain to see.

It is sad, but yes, actions speak so much louder than corporate boilerplate nopologies. Good on Old Navy for canning these racist pieces of shit.

7 Likes

It’s incredibly unlikely the store manager faced any consequences for this, and we already know the DM didn’t.

Old Navy fired three entry-level employees who were following directions, and did nothing to address the root of the issue.

Bullshit or secret conspiracy? Ok, it’s bullshit.

Presumably even those would be deactivated upon purchase so they don’t set off the machine at the door? So there wouldn’t even be that?

3 Likes

The fact is, that as a client, if I feel satisfied of the treatment I got at a store and the item they sold, I feel satisfied and surely I’ll buy more clothes or shoes from them.
This is called client fidelization.
I have a lot of Carrera jeans and clothes, and a lot of Bata shoes and Superga tennis shoes, in different colours. I found them comfortable to me, why I have to change?

They could have keelhauled the three. Or had them flogged around the fleet. That “Old Navy” enough for you?

1 Like

They only terminated their employment. Maybe the answer would have been to go full-Dalek and exterminated them?

Well done Old Navy

Like 50% of my wardrobe is Old Navy. I live in the Pixie pants. I’ve been in there in head-to-toe ON clothes. This “store policy” is obviously bullshit.

And speaking of pants, if I lived in Iowa I think I’d insist that they scan my pants. I’ll just take them off for you. So you can be sure I didn’t steal them.

3 Likes

He walked up to the counter to buy hoodies. Doesn’t seem like the smartest way to steal something else. And that would also have meant that he’d walked into the store, in Iowa, in winter, with no coat on.

7 Likes

Me: Hm, I only have 12 cardigans. To Old Navy!

• puts on Old Navy cardigan and goes to the store *
1 Like

it’s a trap!

They could just say sorry “to our valued customer”. Now his name is out there for idiots to dox and harass him.

Mmm - but he also put out the videos under his name, and hes on the news under his name. I suppose I could see your point if those other two sources of info weren’t already out there.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.