Unarmed man begged for his life before being shot 5 times by Arizona cop with a "YOU'RE FUCKED" sticker on his rifle

More like “Your honor, here’s the report showing that the camera was tampered with when the cop handed it in.”

“Very well, let officer fidget fingers cool off in jail for a few weeks while we sort this out. He’s been tampering.”

9 Likes

There has to be a way to “live feed” that body camera to a secure place. I just don’t believe that with the technology that exists today it can’t be done.

8 Likes

Well, sure, but unless the law is “15 years to life”, the bad stuff gets buried and the cop gets 30 days administrative leave.

Tamper-evidence is fine, but it’s not enough if you want to use the stuff.

2 Likes

That can and should be done as well, but there’s always a good excuse for why a signal went out. (Walked into parking garage, tunnel, etc. The device should probably be made to pick up streaming when it has signal again. Tamper evidence isn’t a bad idea on top of transmitting data.

2 Likes

I never said it was enough. the solution should be multi layered, including data transmission in real time and laws / penalties.

3 Likes

IIRC there’s body cams that transmit back to a DVR in the squadcar that are good for a hundred or so foot radius. Too bad squadcars are the worst place to store data that has the potential to incriminate a cop.

7 Likes

It wouldn’t fit. Police get charged with crimes, but if the crime actually occurred on the job during the course of responding to a call, juries just won’t convict. The police officer, having already been fired, may already be about as fucked as he’ll get.

[quote=“Papasan, post:22, topic:75879, full:true”]There has to be a way to “live feed” that body camera to a secure place. I just don’t believe that with the technology that exists today it can’t be done.
[/quote]

The ACLU has developed this technology for you to use when recording police as a bystander - their app is available free for iOS and Android, and there are versions for different areas/jurisdictions.

(If you think that’s an awesome service to be providing, consider donating :slight_smile: )

11 Likes

The primary source ought to be the pension of the officer accused of malfeasance. It may seem like there are few good cops, but you want to keep them around and get rid of the bad ones.

1 Like

Fired? facing murder charges? let me guess the victim is white.

4 Likes

I’d say under these circumstances, any “good cop” who doesn’t actively work against their murderous co-workers and doesn’t snitch is just as much a bad cop as the bloodthirsty killers.

3 Likes

6 Likes

There was a very brief period where I considered going overseas to drive supplies in Iraq. The money was pretty sweet but the risks of a grisly death were just too much to overlook. One thing I resolved to have, should I have done this work, would have been a fragmentation grenade of some sort, because if they take you out of the truck you’re going to be tortured and beheaded anyhow so why not make it quick and take a couple with you?

This is now how I’m coming to feel about cops.

2 Likes

“We train young men to drop fire on people, but their commanders won’t allow them to write ‘fuck’ on their aeroplanes because it’s obscene!”

20 Likes

I’m just not down with that. I’m ok, maybe, with going back to the earliest date of the the crime(s) they were convicted for and voiding their buy in from there, but I don’t think it is valid to void a person’s pension retroactively for the job they did before they turned criminal.

I’m not against suing them for wrongful death, though. And I’m totally for criminal prosecutions in cases like this one. But I think going after pensions opens a whole can of vindictive worms that can be used in other circumstances where we might support someone, say, a whistle blower.

7 Likes

I don’t disagree in principle with you.

But I’m of the opinion that cops have given themselves so much power and have escaped oversight so well, that I’m partial to gaining as much leverage on them as possible to force them to respect us. If that means taking all their money when they fuck up, and then letting their buddies on the force know who cost them their retirement, that’d be a positive in my book.

5 Likes

Will someone explain to me (aside from the universal “Mesa PD”) why a cop called to a hotel room for a suspected issue with no crime involved (Arizona is no-permit-required open and concealed carry) went in with a rifle instead of a pistol or Taser?

3 Likes

Yes, but not everyone in the police has the right training, or uses it when they should, or think they are above the law. If you act with impunity on the clock, why wouldn’t you off the clock?

Also, fyi, they aren’t stickers, it is just laser engraved. You can literally get anything printed on ejection port covers. The little spider thing on the bolt carrier is a brand logo, Spikes Tactical, which is SUPPOSED to be a weird spider, but once you see the two cocks on it, you can’t unsee them. One other note, that rifle is a billet upper and lower, which are pretty pricey. I guess cops make good coin in AZ.

And someone highlighting the peni. Penieseses?

3 Likes

Because they’re pants-pissing cowards who also happen to be rather stupid due to department hiring practices saying that people with an IQ above 110 are overqualified for the job and would “get bored”.

6 Likes

A better question would be:

Why did the cop even open the door to a potentially armed and hostile person’s room? Why didn’t the cop… I dunno, FUCKING TALK to the guy? Or observe the window for a little bit? In other words, why did the cop do his job so badly?

At this rate, the only plausible answer anymore is: “Because the cop wanted to shoot someone with his expensive new gun.”

12 Likes