Unarmed man begged for his life before being shot 5 times by Arizona cop with a "YOU'RE FUCKED" sticker on his rifle

It’s a good line in the movie, but there is a valid rationale to these sorts of things.

I used to work in animal research and teach in human dissection labs. Both situations are prone to black humour, for obvious reasons. They’re high-stress situations with death in your face.

But in both situations, you want to keep a fairly tight lid on informality and be careful of too much humour. When you don’t, it tends to breed a situational culture that increases the likelihood of ethical abuses. You need to keep in mind that the situation you are in requires a greater than normal sense of responsibility; lives depend upon it.

Similarly, the use-of-force professions have defensible reasons for wanting to keep limits on expressions of on-the-job individuality. Some of it’s just PR management, but some of it is about reducing atrocities.

3 Likes

Well, even granting that – a rifle is a remarkably poor choice for going into a hotel room. Open the door and lead with the barrel and it’s too easy for someone to grab. Too hard to bring it to bear in close quarters.

The only people it would be good against are the ones who aren’t worried about a cop charging in. Someone innocent, for instance, minding his own business.

5 Likes

I’m still a fan of no camera = no badge of office.
Any cop issued a camera should loose all police powers if the camera is not functioning. Lose the footage and lose the right to make an arrest and your qualified immunity from personal prosecution.
Any arrest made without a badge is automatically invalid. I think with that simple change in policy, cameras will become much more robust and less prone to tactical failure.

2 Likes

Well, you made me go on the NRA site. I could not find anything about this on there, but it is a pretty confusing site. I will do some more looking later. As I said in my first post, I first found a detailed examination of the event on a gun blog. The reaction of most gun people, even the really political ones, is shock at what is happening with the police.
As some people here know, I am a fairly serious gun collector, but not any sort of right wing person. Or left. But I can sometimes articulate the perspectives of gun people in a way that might make sense to readers here. So the topic of the NRA. I am not a member, although I was once, when they offered tickets to an event for anyone joining, and joining was cheaper than the tickets cost.But most gun owners believe that the NRA performs a necessary task in the US today. With all the various Bloomberg-funded anti-gun groups constantly trying to push legislation to restrict and eventually ban guns, it is important to have someone in Washington pushing back.

I’m not talking about gun people. I’m talking about the NRA.

why should this be the outcome? guns are nowhere banned in the first/rich/western world

1 Like

I’d prefer “alleged murder by police officer in uniform”, myself.

6 Likes

Translation: would be able to figure out a way to ask questions first instead of starting with shooting.

It would be a much less boring job if it constituted more than just: draw weapon, shoot.

4 Likes

Or just knock on the door and ask “can we talk with you for a minute?”

3 Likes

Maricopa County. Why am I not surprised?

no, general pension fund is the way to go. It would force the good cops to police the “few bad apples” that keep ruining their reputation.

3 Likes

It’s the old question of “Who wants to be a cop, and why?”

Maricopa County is a long way from uniform. Phoenix proper is majority-minority and the mayor, at least, has gone to bat for the Latinos in his city. The Phoenix PD is far from perfect, but they have notably done some serious head-butting with Arpaio. Tempe is a very blue dot on the county map, while Paradise Valley was incorporated as a tax haven (no retail businesses allowed, minimum 1-acre lot sizes, and low taxes.)

Then there’s Mesa. Worse yet, Chandler – Chandler PD is so extreme that other police departments avoid responding to calls for backup from Chandler due to a history of friendly-fire incidents.

So, no, “Maricopa County” really doesn’t explain it at all.

1 Like

2 Likes

Good point. many people confuse the two.

Yes 

“Alleged police murder”? Bit more snappy.

If by “we” you mean civilians, the hoi polloi, the 99%, then yes, we are…

1 Like

Or a few years…
http://www.legalmatch.com/law-library/article/obstruction-of-justice.html
“Since there are so many offenses that can constitute obstruction of justice, the penalty will vary based on the severity of the offense. Penalties can range from simple fines to jail time of up to ten years.”

1 Like

Use the radio system in their cruiser and/or the cell phone network as a relay in those circumstances, and/or set up specific antennae in locations where the signal isn’t so strong.

As another safeguard, ensure that a copy gets transmitted simultaneously to a server controlled by someone other than the police department – say the DA’s office or the office of the most senior judge at the local courthouse. Restrict access to those servers both physically (multiple physical keys required to open the container it’s in) and electronically (strong password protection.)