Unboxing video of a phone that's as hideously ugly as it is expensive

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/25/unboxing-video-of-a-phone-that.html

3 Likes

This looks like it was specifically designed to be the burner phone that Putin gives to Trump to they can giggle to each other late into the night about world domination.

Also, was this unboxing video directed by David Fincher?

24 Likes

It’s a Veblen consolation prize to comfort those not wealthy, clever, or tasteful enough to build a secret lair with laser-equipped sharks and loyal minions.

6 Likes

This epitomises modern Russia’s monied classes like nothing else I’ve seen.

15 Likes

Russia has revolutionized the art of expensive tackiness.

11 Likes

I picture Don Jr. and Eric talking to each other on these as kids, like they were walkie talkies, and getting mad that Ivanka wouldn’t play with them.

8 Likes

symbolizes fair power, union and wisdom.

All that in a phone? Who’d a thunk…

6 Likes

For the man or woman who has everything except taste.

14 Likes

Oh, that man or woman has taste, all right. Taste for this phone.

Which is fine: more for them means less for me.

2 Likes

You know what? It’s for a man with specific tastes, ok?

10 Likes

“The once soft, leaky, and cheap vinyl shell of the device has been replaced by armorlike, costly stainless steel, which reflects everything surrounding Phone and deflects any allusions to the sculpture’s interior.”

3 Likes

Yeah, that fits.

8 Likes

This looks like the kind of phone someone would use to ring up all their Cenobite friends for a really messed up S&M party.

12 Likes

Like this:

Not to be confused with the historical (nonfictional) cenobites:

4 Likes

Yes this is “Luxury”

1 Like

I watch unbox therapy every day. They have a certain style and cadence. They have featured more than a few of these “highend” phones (the specs are usually kind of crap). They also from time to to to time feature the cheapest smart phones and other oddities.

2 Likes

So… he tweets with the power of his mind? And he can get up to 280 characters? Color me impressed, finally.

You know, if poor people would stop buying these phones, they could afford insulin. /s (if needed)

1 Like

That does look like a party.

1 Like

The quantity of o‘s after the s lets you know just how wrong the story is. What a subtle son of a bitch.

Plus ça change

5 Likes