Under coronavirus lockdown, Russia expands surveillance state

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/04/23/under-coronavirus-lockdown-ru.html

This news did not give Trump any ideas; Putin had instructed him on applying that here much, much earlier.

2 Likes

Whatever their ideology, the scumbags never let a crisis go to waste. Meanwhile, the brave shirtless he-man “leader” is so scared of delivering bad news about the pandemic that he’s leaving that to his lackeys.

7 Likes

I will probably see the dystopian nightmare I’ve read about in countless books come to fruition in my lifetime here in the US. China and Russia are just our beta testers.

Anti-gun, progressive Liberals should embrace the 2nd amendment, because the fair utility of soap and voting boxes has already been co-opted, and kumbya isn’t going to save you.

As an added bonus, it would annoy the right.

The only thing impeding Russia’s surveillance state for the last two decades is budget. Any expansion related to Trumpvirus is probably actually motivated by concern about Trumpvirus.

1 Like

I’ve actually considered going to a shooting range- not owning a gun, but at least knowing how to use one. Unfortunately, most of them seem to be right-wing establishments, down to the merchandise they sell. I don’t exactly feel safe deliberately going to a place full of lunatics with guns.

4 Likes

Nah, the lack of a need for a weapon already annoys the right.
Arming the left is only going to excite the right into believing civil war 2.0 is here, most of them already do.

4 Likes

Youtube is a great resource and plenty of non-partisan videos to teach you the basics. Reddit - Dive into anything too.

Like “nobody needs the first amendment”.

It doesn’t matter what the right thinks, because it’s based on a permanent state of fear.

Prepare yourself, for you.

YouTube doesn’t give me a place to actually practice, though. I can’t exactly do it in my home as though I were learning to juggle. But yeah, finding some kind of local left-wing group is probably the way to go. I just hope they’re not too extreme or creepy- I’m not a big fan of people who fetishize guns, no matter what side of the aisle they’re on.

ETA: For example, the Reddit you linked me to is ranting about “Biden’s Alarming Gun Control Agenda”. I’m not in favor of outright banning guns, but I’m most definitely in favor of gun control, and willing to jump through the necessary hoops to still be able to practice with a gun. Most gun nuts seem to think the slightest inconvenience or hindrance to buying as many guns as they want as often as they want is absolute tyranny. I’m not going to get along with them, no matter how lefty they are.

1 Like

You’ll find that any range you go to won’t be filled with lunatics. Just about everyone who uses any range I’ve ever used is pretty good people.

1 Like

To the point of the article. Did you expect anything else. Just about every other country is doing that also.

1 Like

I re-read Hunter S Thompson’s 9/11 article every year on the anniversary to remind myself of how far we’ve strayed.

This is going to be a very expensive war, and Victory is not guaranteed — for anyone, and certainly not for anyone as baffled as George W. Bush. All he knows is that his father started the war a long time ago, and that he, the goofy child-President, has been chosen by Fate and the global Oil industry to finish it Now. He will declare a National Security Emergency and clamp down Hard on Everybody, no matter where they live or why. If the guilty won’t hold up their hands and confess, he and the Generals will ferret them out by force.

2 Likes

Is that all? Facial recognition and Digital passes. I thought this would be about them re-planting bugs in apartment buildings like they did in the Soviet days.

Heck we Americans will be required to have digital passes (Real ID) to fly starting on October 1, 2020 and that initiative came out way before the current virus crisis. Hunter S. Thompson was a prophet.

1 Like

Why bug apartments when hacking smartphones is an easier and more effective way to spy on people? Anyway, requiring people to have digital passes means that they carry their phones everywhere, meaning that everyone’s movements can be tracked, which is something that the Soviet state never achieved.

So We’re Still #1? Go Team USA!

You’re forgetting Hungary where Orbán used the crisis to give himself dictatorial powers. Or Poland, where they are not only putting cronies into judge seats, but forcing out any judge who is not a lackey. Or Brazil, where the trick to keeping thenumber of fatalities low is, well, not counting them in the first place.

2 Likes

or Turkey I guess. :expressionless:

1 Like

These folks can probably direct you to your nearest less-fashy gun range:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.