Undercover cop runs a red light and tries to ticket driver who recorded it

Turning driver was “committed to the intersection” before the light changed to yellow. Law is on his side.

3 Likes

Given there was already on coming traffic, I would have been slowing down for the turn enough I wouldn’t need to slam on any brakes. For me, if there is on coming traffic and it turns yellow, I’ll wait.

If I was at the stop sooner and waiting, I would attempt to turn left on yellow to clear the intersection, but only AFTER confirming the on coming car was stopped or at least clearly stopping.

I guess I just learned more defensive driving than y’all. Because cop or no cop, there are people who will jam on a yellow. Given I’d be fucked if my car got wrecked, I’d prefer not to risk it. YMMV.

3 Likes

… not exactly, see upthread; it was, narrowly speaking, citable as a violation. It wasn’t really all that sketchy in the grand scheme of things, though. Cops were much sketchier.

Left hand turns are the problem. They should be banned!!

3 Likes

I dream of a world with light changing indicators. Something like solid green, flashing green, solid yellow, flashing yellow, red.

5 Likes

I have a question.

The video reports a GPS location of “40.4281 N 73.5608 W” for the first intersection. When I put those coordinates into Google Maps I got a location in the Atlantic about 5 miles south from Long Island and 10 miles from the Jersey Shore. Certainly GPS can be screwed with, but why go to this trouble?

I did find the intersection of “Morgan (Ave.) and Grand (St.)” in Brooklyn which matched the video (though in daytime on Google Maps). GPS coordinates of “40.713369, -73.934815”.

Maybe the GPS had only gotten a partial fix? Maybe it was just offsetting from the last good fix? Lots of reasons for GPS to be inaccurate without spoofing.

Shit shit shit - you found the replica of Brooklyn the US Military put in the middle of the ocean to conduct domestic martial law drills. It is a highly accurate replica, complete with asshole drivers and cops.

4 Likes

Then how is it different from green? Why have a separarte color if it means the same thing?

The numbers after the period seem to be hundredths of arc minute.
42.81/60 = .7135
56.08/60 = .9347
Kind of weird.

1 Like

Maybe it was a red light location
on A marker buoy in sheepshead bay, according to the GPS discrepancies?

Yellow light; go, very fast…

Doh Heraclito beat me to it by ~8 hrs.

It is a warning that red is coming soon. (cf the link above to the NYS code for a precise articulation of the difference.)

ORS 811.260:

A driver facing a steady circular yellow signal light is thereby warned that the related right of way is being terminated and that a red or flashing red light will be shown immediately. A driver facing the light shall stop at a clearly marked stop line, but if none, shall stop before entering the marked crosswalk on the near side of the intersection, or if there is no marked crosswalk, then before entering the intersection. If a driver cannot stop in safety, the driver may drive cautiously through the intersection.

The problem is when you get a cop telling the judge that you could have stopped safely. And when a traffic light camera company shortens the yellow interval to where nobody can stop safely because they get a piece of the take on tickets.

Beaverton’s a notorious offender with traffic cameras. It even has a record of punishing those who ‘plead the laws of physics’ - charging one defendant of practicing engineering without a license. I can easily see how an Oregonian could come to believe that the law requires ‘stop on yellow’ even where the laws of physics say otherwise - because you aren’t going to beat that ticket.

3 Likes

Yeah, first the green light turns red then the other red turns green. They make sure there’s a clear break between when one side goes and the other can go.

1 Like

Huh.

Well, that explains it except for that weirdness.

Thanks!

And I can’t even get a text back ='(

1 Like

It’s true that you never said he acted illegally, but your first reaction was instead to say this guy should have waited, which is clearly wrong. He entered the intersection on green, and was legally bound to clear the intersection before the light turned red. The cop, on the other hand, had plenty of time to stop for the yellow, but instead decided to push his luck. So, one wrong makes a wrong.

Point blank. When you are behind the wheel better to drive defensively. So I do not think what he did was illegal but perhaps ill-advised.

Better safe than sorry.

Cop is more wrong absolutely but I can say both sides have blame regardless of percentage and I personally would rather have avoided my car being damaged and have to wait a whole 3 min more to turn left.

Know what I’m sayin?