Underrated and overrated films (and other general filmy chat)

Somebody in one of these threads reccommended Mitchell and Webb’s The Magicians, I believe?

I found it on YouTube last month, and It. Was. Awesome.

Low budget, the magic tricks are shite (deliberately so), but much fun. And much better than the oddly similar bigger-budgeted The Incredible Burt Wonderstone.

Unless the story has a character with a variable voice, what’s wrong with casting an actor who has a monotone voice?

1 Like

Y’know, I had the same complaint about Sir Richard Burton. Always found him incredibly wooden, particularly in Becket. But in retrospect, I think Burton did have some range (somewhere), but Costner has always struck me as being extremely limited and one-note.

I have a particular appreciation for actors like Alec Guinness and Gary Oldman, who so thoroughly inhabit their roles that it’s difficult to visualize them out of character. Kevin Costner always just seems like Kevin Costner. Kinda like Jack Nicholson or Sam Elliott.

2 Likes

I still find Slave Hunter unwatchable, and don’t understand why other people find it not only watchable but brilliant.

If you spend time arguing over whether replicants are human, and reference the Voight-Kampff test, there are people who argue about whether I am human, and people who talk about how we are a burden, and people who kill us, and states requiring insurance to find reparative therapy to try to change autistic children, and hate groups finding research to find genes to try to eugenically eliminate us…

And regardless of Philip K Dick’s intentions…

It is fucking scary.

1 Like

Richard Burton, just like Kevin Costner.

As far as voices go, I’d much rather sound like Burton…

Maybe he was a bit stagey, though, like Larry.

In all fairness, nobody makes better sports movies than Costner.

1 Like

Tom Cruise is Tom Cruise in Tom Cruise.

Hasn’t stopped being true since the first time I heard this joke sometime in the 80’s.

7 Likes

Like Sean Connery is Sean Connery is Sean Connery. He’s a movie star, not a great actor.

Mad as a box of frogs, but he’s been in a lot of films that I like and The Color of Money, Rain Man, Born of the Fourth of July, A Few Good Men, Magnolia, Collateral and The Last Samurai at least are genuinely good films - and even the more popcorny ones he’s done are generally better than most.

Mind you, I like Days of Thunder, so my judgement is open to question. :slight_smile:

Jack Reacher was dire, though.

3 Likes

Last Samurai was good in spite of Cruise. I credit Ken Watanabe for saving that film.

And yes, I consider your taste suspect. :wink:

7 Likes

*swoon*

I don’t know how anyone who likes Top Gun couldn’t like Days of Thunder, though. It’s the same film, but with John C Reilly and a bit less homoeroticism.

I guess it’s like how I’d rather watch a Tony Scott film (see above) than a Ridley Scott one (particularly his late career dreck - Alien and Blade Runner aside he’s massively overrated) - give me a Tom Cruise film over a Tom Hanks one any day.

2 Likes

But, but, but…Wiiiiiilllllsooooon!!!1111!!!

2 Likes
2 Likes

A merry little surge of electricity piped by automatic alarm from the mood organ beside his bed awakened Rick Deckard. Surprised — it always surprised him to find himself awake without prior notice — he rose from the bed, stood up in his multicolored pajamas, and stretched. Now, in her bed, his wife Iran opened her gray, unmerry eyes, blinked, then groaned and shut her eyes again.
"You set your Penfield too weak he said to her. “I’ll reset it and you’ll be awake and — "
“Keep your hand off my settings.” Her voice held bitter sharpness. “I don’t want to be awake.”
He seated himself beside her, bent over her, and explained softly. " If you set the surge up high enough, you’ll be glad you’re awake; that’s the whole point. At setting C it overcomes the threshold barring consciousness, as it does for me.” Friendlily, because he felt well-
disposed toward the world his setting had been at D — he patted her bare, pate shoulder.
“Get your crude cop’s hand away,” Iran said.
"I’m not a cop — " He felt irritable, now, although he hadn’t dialed for it.
“You’re worse,” his wife said, her eyes still shut. "You’re a murderer hired by the cops…

sort of changes the whole “More human than human” bit.

3 Likes

Maybe this isn’t quite the right thread, but I just watched Calvary and I just wanted to say what a good film it is. Brendan Gleeson is (as ever) excellent.

2 Likes

If you like Calvary, try the writer/director’s previous film with Gleeson as the lead, The Guard. Same sardonic wit peppering an awesome story.

2 Likes

Ridley Scott should have stayed in adverts.

But did Tony Scott do a better job of that too?

2 Likes

in the same way, I was going to mention that I saw Birdman the other night and it was tiiiiight. it worked on so many different levels.

2 Likes

I thought Birdman was great. Although I couldn’t stop myself trying to work out where the cuts were made.

3 Likes

I am tempted to add in some of my favorites from Professor Fred’s Schlock Cinema 101 class and the class proper where he gets to show non public domain stuff with something passes for lecture and learning.
Some of those old B films are quite fun and some are just cringeworthy in 1950s misogyny but the good ones have a solid story that holds together despite the acting. A recent viewing of Plan 9 brought up the fact that there are gay rights undertones as the alien men are all swishy and the alien women are butch and the all you of earth are stupid speech about how they have been here all along and nobody will recognize them was an interesting idea.
Then there are the movies like Invasion Of The Star Creatures that even tall buxom scantily clad space ladies can’t save it from being painful to watch.

1 Like

I was looking a little at first. I think I actually noticed what could/should have been a cut once or twice, but after a while, I realized that I’ve certainly missed many of them, and that with the digital stitching (or however it is termed) there weren’t really “cuts” anymore, I just let it go.

It made me remember this video, too

1 Like

Ever seen this?

1 Like