Underrated and overrated films (and other general filmy chat)

Heh, hoisted by my own petard.

Calvera? A decent antagonist (at the cost of any development of the farmers’ characters).

Perhaps I’m just against multiple versions of the same story, and I like whichever I saw first, regardless of which was first :slight_smile:

Nah, I liked Seven Samurai a lot. It just seemed very long.

1 Like

I never ask serious questions. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

You’ve never seen Lang’s Mabuse, the Gambler, or the director’s cut of Until the End of the World, have you…

That other movies are longer doesn’t mean that Seven Samurai isn’t long.

I mean, by your logic I could wonder whether you’ve seen Stantango or Shoah, as though that would somehow prove that your examples really aren’t long at all.

1 Like

I’m a big fan of Modern Times Forever.

1 Like

I wasn’t aware that Satantango was seven hours long. Wish I had seen it; I was living in Budapest when it came out, and remember the posters everywhere. :frowning:

Did I forget to mention this one?

Apparently I did.

2 Likes

Do you want to play Snakes and Ladders?

Let’s just say that between this and Castaway, Amanda Donohoe was…formative.

1 Like

Yes. Next question please.

3 Likes

Also see: A Short Film About Killing

1 Like

Yojimbo

7 Likes

Being There.
wow

3 Likes

They both have “killing” in their title, but that’s about the only similarity.

1 Like

Hello,

I remember seeing The Seventh Seal for the first time when in high school and being in awe of how simple yet how complex everything was in the film. Another action film I dimly remember was Sorcerer, but that may be more for its Tangerine Dream soundtrack.

4 Likes

That, IMO, is one startlingly huge ‘about’.

1 Like

May as well throw in Anatomy of a Murder, Fargo, My Cousin Vinny, and The Killing Fields, etc., etc., then. They’re all kinda similar.

1 Like

Ah. So we only disagree in degrees. Now; To bargain a compromise.

1 Like

Not sure when this came to Netflix, but I found it Saturday night after finishing Season 2 of The Bletchley Circle (also recommended).

Inspired by, but not based on the life of, Chris Sievey, it was a weird little film. My wife put up with it. I rather enjoyed the music, most of which was performed by the actors in the film (two of whom are professional musicians). The long list of songs in the closing credits is amusing, as it includes several two-line, 10-second “songs” attempted by the narrator. I would like to hear a longer version of Lady in the Red Coat.

I have it on hold at the library. I was put off because it isn’t about Frank Sidebottom/Chris Sievey (more like Captain Beefheart, apparently), but it sounded interesting enough to check out anyway.

1 Like