Underrated and overrated films (and other general filmy chat)

I love that effect. It’s so great at forcing unease.

2 Likes

Oh my god. How did I miss that one? Thanks!

1 Like

I just watched Coherence. Nice little film, thanks for mentioning it.

2 Likes

Last week I watched Machete Kills.

You already know whether or not you want to watch Machete Kills.

ETA: Once I went to a movie with some friends and posters reading “AVP” in a certain classic font on a black background had just recently appeared in the theater. The group was divided into two parts: Those who were excited and those who were saying “What’s AVP?” I said, “If you don’t know what it is, you are not going to want to see it.”

9 Likes

Now you must watch Machete Kills in Space. Because it is glorious cheese.

6 Likes

Is that streaming on Netflix yet? I loved Machete Kills!

2 Likes

It was last year. There are lots of movies we probably would never see if it weren’t for Netflix, good, bad, and cheesy.

2 Likes

I saw it on Netflix Canada, just showed up the other week. I will definitely watch Machete Kills in Space when it is up there.

To be honest, I found Machete Kills a little bit disappointing in some ways. I’d say it peaks pretty early. But Danny Trejo is amazing. It’s so easy to watch a movie like that and discount the importance of the quality of the actors amongst all the insanity.

5 Likes

That shot in Vertigo is freakin’ beautiful. I love that movie. A lot of Hitchcock feels too contrived to me, but for whatever reason, it all works in Vertigo. That shot, it’s so intense. All the little hints in the movie come together right then and it totally mimics that “woah” feeling in my mind.

4 Likes

Least remembered Best Picture Oscar from a period of timeless films:

Cavalcade (1932-33). The same year as iconic films of the era as:

King Kong
Duck Soup
I was a Fugitive From a Chain Gang
The Champ
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (Frederic March version)
Shanghai Express
Red Dust
42nd Street

2 Likes

Phantom of the Paradise

Brian DePalma’s corrosive take on Rock music in the early 70’s. Surprisingly great score by Paul (I was everywhere in the 70’s) Williams. Prefiguring Shock Rock and starring Jessica Harper, a woman who did surprisingly few movies but most of them have a heavy cult cachet.

But while I was thinking about Jessica Harper, another movie comes to mind:
My Favorite Year

A romp about the early days of TV comedy, based partly on Mel Brooks’s experiences with Erroll Flynn’s appearance on “Your Show of Shows”.

7 Likes

Rumored? I thought that was canon.

And a particularly awesome movie, too.

Notes:

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2004-05-06/news/0405060155_1_errol-flynn-favorite-year-brooks

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/mel-brooks-looks-back-on-sid-caesar-blazing-saddles-and-more

3 Likes

Fixed that. :grinning:

1 Like

Would watch again for The Big Victor

1 Like

I have watched Event Horizon at least 5 times. It’s an underrated gem, methinks.

3 Likes

That movie is a favorite and Clark Gable and Jean Harlow are so great in that film.

2 Likes

The remake, Mogambo wasn’t bad either. Gable was a bit long in the tooth by then, but Ava Gardner and Grace Kelly were smoldering.

3 Likes

Both great films. My Favorite Year should have been a solid hit, but it too only achieved cult status. The curse of Harper?

4 Likes

Not really a curse per se. More of an interesting choice of jobs taken.
A few of her notable films had about zero chance for mainstream success: Suspira, Shock Treatment, Pennies from Heaven.

2 Likes

Watched Cartel Land tonight. Fascinating (if depressing) little documentary.

The Look of Silence - the follow up to The Act of Killing came in at the library, so I’ll probably try to watch that this weekend.

2 Likes