Underrated and overrated films (and other general filmy chat)

And then see Sid & Nancy and Straight to Hell, if you haven’t already, to complete the Alex Cox Not-Really-A-Trilogy (but several actors are in two or all three of them).

I got another one: Six String Samurai. If there’s anywhere I can find other people who have seen this movie, surely it’s here :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I hope those melon farmers at Criterion included the alternate soundtrack!

2 Likes

??

what’s on it? anything not on the official soundtrack album?

1 Like

Oops, I meant audio track, for TV. Although as I recall this did alter the musical soundtrack a bit.

2 Likes

My goodness, The Man from U.N.C.L.E. is dull.

What is up with the casting? A Brit as an American, an American as a Russian? That’s Highlander-esque.

And the TV series was fun. This…isn’t.

Yeah, Guy Ritchie isn’t great, but his first two films were fun, and the Holmes films aren’t bad. This is just so meh.

(so much so that I’m writing this instead of paying attention to it)

3 Likes

I’ll admit there was a couple of cool parts on the first one, but it was an overall negative experience for this Holmes fan.

3 Likes

And yet King despised Kubrick’s treatment of the source material.

2 Likes

“Reverse zoom lens dolly” - and there are more great examples of it. It’s used subtly nowadays - I noticed it recently. In vertigo it’s pretty much “shove their faces in it”, and despite Hitchcock and his teams’ excellence, he didn’t hit the nadir.

I will rack my brains. Something in the early to mid 80s - it might be The Thing - used it; and a friend of mine at High school just went nuts over “reverse zoom lens dolly”.

2 Likes

Joseph Gordon-Levitt is no longer involved in the proposed Sandman adaptation :frowning:

http://www.avclub.com/article/joseph-gordon-levitt-just-quit-sandman-233304

2 Likes

I don’t remember it in The Thing, but Peter Jackson used it in the “shortcut to mushrooms” moment in Fellowship of the Ring.

2 Likes

Ditto. I really, really liked Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels and Snatch, so my expectations were really high for Ritchie’s Holmes movies.

Alas.

4 Likes

What’s the name if the weird Mexican one?

Highway Patrolman?

2 Likes

Having seen RocknRolla, mine weren’t. But I quite liked the first Holmes one, at least.

Subsequent filmography would suggest that the reason Lock Stock and Snatch were good was more down to Matthew Vaughn than Guy Ritchie.

Hey, Matthew Vaughn, a Man from UNCLE connection! (sort of)

2 Likes

Saw “All is Lost”, Robert Redford’s sailing movie. Full of nice little touches like: “Isn’t that window open? I wonder if that’s going to be important.”

3 Likes

Weird. Full of flaws. Full of wonderful things.

7 Likes

Alex Cox!

I used to really like his BBC cult movie series…Moviedrome?

2 Likes

Oh, that one. Heard of it, never seen it, kinda think of it as the Nicaraguan one.

1 Like

I’m such an ugly norte americano.

2 Likes

Repo Man definitely counts as cult classic. And it’s a brilliant film. Even with all the corners they cut during production it just made things better.

9 Likes