Underrated and overrated films (and other general filmy chat)

It’s been long enough that I don’t remember this one very clearly, but I do remember thinking it was great and wondering why the critics didn’t seem to agree.

2 Likes

it’s not perfect, but of all the Hulk films, I think Ang Lee’s rang the truest and was overall best. I realize this is a hugely divisive assertion to make, though. I liked the Hulk in The Avengers, too, but I’m just talking about the solo movies.

4 Likes

I saw him somewhat recently doing a good job as a rather evil drug lord in a Hong Kong produced heist film awhile ago. Let The Bullets Fly. Good story, solid acting and some really sweet action sequences. Worth rental price at the least.

3 Likes

Wait, wut? There is a new Crouching Tiger? Am I living under a rock?

4 Likes

Yeah, on Netflix.

I didn’t realize there was a book series that they’re based on until yesterday. But it’s basically the same film with the same Maguffin, only made cheaper, and shorter. But it does have Michelle Yeoh in it (but not Zhang Ziyi :frowning: ).

3 Likes
I used to have the biggest crush on Michelle yeoh. I’d say don’t tell my wife, but I think she did too.
5 Likes

Not sure if Repo Man counts as underrated–I just think way too many people haven’t seen it. Emilio Estevez’s best role, endlessly quotable, and still one of my favorite soundtracks ever.

8 Likes

I really enjoyed Taking Woodstock and Demetri Martin besides being the perfect young Steve Jobs lookalike did an excellent job in the movie the acid trip scene is quite awesome. Not ground breaking but about 10 times more watchable than Life of Pi which was totally overrated.

I also remember enjoying Sense and Sensibility but it was so long ago…

Could not sit through The Ice Storm or Lust Caution, sat through Hulk but oh it was so bad.

I think Brokeback is one of his better movies, though a bit overrated.

3 Likes

My issue with it was that it was “an experiment in artsy fartsy” and you can do that stuff really well like “Scott Pilgrim” did, but this one, felt totally forced.

2 Likes

I can’t think of a single person I count as friend who hasn’t seen this movie several times. You must be hanging out with the ‘wrong’ people. :wink:

5 Likes

Maybe! But it does give me the joy of making people watch it :slightly_smiling:

3 Likes

“let’s go get sushi… and not pay.”

6 Likes

“Somebody pissed on the floor again?”

4 Likes

plate o’ shrimp?

5 Likes

“Put it on a plate, son, you’ll enjoy it more.”

I can do this basically forever but I will stop now :smiley: (and go watch Repo Man clips on YouTube)

4 Likes

I haven’t yet. :^( But I will if we can stay friends.

Gonna hafta out-pedant you, Noah. I have to assume that our Iron E. is referring to the 1980 version of The Shining rather than the 1997 miniseries, and the 1980 Kubrick version was most definitely not penned by King (which is why the '97 version was made in the first place).

Of course, if I’m wrong and she actually prefers the '97 miniseries, then I happily apologize. I don’t like the Kubrick version any more than King does. Not scary to me at all, and I find it cold and distant and empty. Groundbreaking cinematography, though.

I loved Christine. Perfect marriage of story and director. And here ol’ Donald will re-tell one of his previously-told Personal Anecdotes, since it’s been a couple years.

I first read Christine in paperback around 1985 or so, and finished it on the school bus on my way home from school one day. Soon as I closed the book and stuffed it into my backpack, I glanced outside the bus window and happened to spy an actual 1958 Plymouth Fury (brown, not red) tooling down the street right next to the bus.

About eleven years later I was in Estes Park, Colorado, working on that aforementioned miniseries version of The Shining. We were shooting at the Stanley Hotel during its off-season, and the crew was staying at the hotel as well. One of the hotel’s outbuildings was used as stables during the summer (for horseback riding), and one end of the stable was used for storage. Broken beds, extra chairs, probably spare croquet mallets, all that sort of crap, and all covered in dust. During a break in my workday, I nosed around in there for a few minutes to see what there was to see. Buried in debris near the side doors I found two cars, which obviously hadn’t been moved in years. One of ‘em was a 1959 Cadillac Sedan DeVille, which was a surprising coincidence since Melvin van Peebles’ character of Dick Halloran drove a shiny red '59 Caddy convertible in the miniseries.

The Caddy in the barn was painted white, and badly customized. At some point in its history, someone had shortened the car by removing the back doors and the whole back seat section, in an effort to make it a 2-seater 2-door, like a '55 T-Bird. Completely fucked up the Caddy’s proportions and made it look ridiculous. But again, this car was covered in years of dust. I doubt anyone had peeked into that corner of the stable in years.

Oh, and the other car? Yep, another '58 Fury.

That was a hell of a coincidence. Furies are rare, and '58 was a bad sales year for Detroit so 1958 anythings are uncommon. And the first two Furies I noticed in my life were spotted in conjunction with Stephen King experiences.

Though King was staying at the Stanley while doing rewrites on the set, I never did get the chance to tell him about the “barn find.” The day after I found those cars, he drove back home to Maine. Yeah, drove. For whatever reason, rather than flying out to Estes Park he’d driven out there in a not-particularly-new Chevy Suburban. Gas was cheapish then.

Out of every Personal Anecdote I’ve ever told, I think this one sounds the most like pure bullshit. But as it happens, it’s all true.

I like Darabont and his work, but I haven’t been tempted to rewatch either of those in a long, long time.

You rule. It’s a truly shitty film, but oh my god is it fun.

“Whole world’s gone tits-up.”

8 Likes

You must see Repo Man immediately. A guy with a 5- or 6- necked guitar should’ve seen it ages ago. A different flavor of cheese than Maximum Overdrive, to say the least, but shares the lead actor.

6 Likes

Hey, yeah! I totally forgot about that. I will seek out Repo Man with all speed. Thanks!

4 Likes

It’s now part of the Criterion Collection if you need any other prodding. It is a wonderfully quirky and fun film.

5 Likes

I’d heard that for years (since shortly after its release in fact) but somehow I never got around to it. At first the title put me off (sounded dull) and then its hip cred (which was a dumb reason to avoid it) and then it fell off my radar, and then for a while it was a bit hard to find (always checked out at my local video haunts, etc.) but now I really have no excuse for not seeing it.

2 Likes