Underrated and overrated films (and other general filmy chat)

Yeah, i completely agree. The story is all about those interesting bits of first contact so i think you’ll enjoy it. I thought it was also very faithful to the story with, of course, the inevitable filmy bits to add spectacle. Their alienness really comes across, their motives don’t align with ours and yet our self-centred nature still projects our own motives on them to our cost.

But actually, the aliens part of the plot really feels secondary to me, it frames the story of the linguist to great effect.

3 Likes

Hardcore Henry showed up at the library!

5 Likes

I expected to hate that film, and it was surprisingly good. If you want a good cry, give it a watch! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Title sounded familiar then released I had already read the anthology. Explains the deja vu I got from the trailer.

1 Like

Just finished watching That Guy Dick Miller. A fun look at one of the best character actors out there with great interviews of Dick, his wife, directors, producers, etc. Man he has been in A LOT of films.

4 Likes

Surprising, wasn’t it?

2 Likes

What was awesome was the love of both him and his work as actor that comes across from all the directors who first saw him when they were kids and enjoyed getting him to be in their movies.

2 Likes

Finally watched Only Lovers Left Alive and it was fantastic.

6 Likes

That film had a lot of texture, didn’t it?

3 Likes

Absolutely, in a number of ways, visual and aurally. I was not at all surprised to see bill laswell in the music credits at the end. Very droney music.

Also, that Tangiers apartment!!!

5 Likes

Also, it’s clear that being a really old vampire means NEVER EVAR BRUSHING ONE’S HAIR!!!

3 Likes

Did you watch it yet? It was…action packed.

3 Likes

Yeah…it was…meh. I hoped it would be more fun.

2 Likes

Yeah, interesting concept, but I don’t think it was well written.

2 Likes

Shoot 'Em Up was a much better take on that sort of film. Without the first person camera thing…

3 Likes

I know it wasn’t a good movie, but I definitely enjoyed Shoot 'Em Up. :wink:

4 Likes

I assume you’ve seen it, right, @SpunkyTWS?

2 Likes

I have and loved it. I’m now (slowly) working on finding as many Dick Miller films that I haven’t seen yet and seeing those too.

This is not a spoiler alert but in the final moments I was very close to tears and then the final line made me laugh.

2 Likes

FInally got around to watching the last Star Trek movie that was out this summer. I know I had several folks say I should go, but schedules never worked for it.

Man, that was a waste of time. Bleh.

4 Likes

One other thing I forgot to mention previously about That Guy Dick Miller is I think it reveals why after A Bucket of Blood he’s never had another starring role. He’s just not that ambitious. He was happy to take the parts that he was offered and didn’t actively go out seeking bigger roles.

It’s a bit of a shame really. I learned from Roger Corman’s How I Made A Hundred Movies In Hollywood And Never Lost A Dime that Miller was a great improviser, adding funny touches to his small roles. In Not Of This Earth he was cast as a straightforward salesman but it was his idea to play the part as a hep cat, calling Mr. Johnson “daddy-o”. It’s interesting that other actors who weren’t even working would come to the set just to watch him.

5 Likes