Underrated and overrated films (and other general filmy chat)

11 Likes

But who, now, will direct Pong? Are we really going to let the Wachowski’s write and direct Civ I-VI?

3 Likes

Watched Swiss Army Man tonight. I really liked it. Definitely the oddest film I’ve seen for a while, but it was charming. Plus, y’know, farting.

5 Likes

I so want to see this. It seems so delightfully wacky a concept I see no way it can actually be a bad movie.

5 Likes

Warcraft. I expected this to be total carp, but aside from it not having much reason to exist I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. The Orcs were too cartoony, though - I’d suggest they didn’t spend enough money but that would be ludicrous since it cost $160m…

Hopefully Duncan Jones has got that out of his system and can go back to smaller stuff. Mute looks interesting.

4 Likes

I liked it too, although it didn’t really have an ending. But I am biased, since I play. One of my favorite things: somebody got sheeped!

2 Likes

Saw it last night. Excellent film. Well worth tracking down.

2 Likes

I’m a big Bollywood watcher, and last weekend while looking for something to watch I realized I was comparing everything in my head to Queen, which has evidently become my standard of comparison for modern Indian movies. (Chupke Chupke and Gol Maal are still my all-time favorite Indian films, but you can’t really compare new movies to them.)

1 Like

Just got done watching The Wrecking Crew not the Dean Martin film but the documentary about the session musicians who were pretty much on EVERY record in the 60’s.
@Mindysan33 if you haven’t seen this you should.

I knew they did a ton of work but my god they really did EVERYTHING FOR EVERYONE.

10 Likes

It’s on my queue and I keep meaning to watch it when it comes to a documentary night for the family… thanks for the recommendation, I’ll certainly prioritize it!

4 Likes

Watched Eddie the Eagle last night. Enjoyed it, but I get the impression they took a lot of liberties with the true story, without having a particularly good reason to.

(I did make a point of going out to the Olympic park when I was in Calgary though…)

2 Likes

Infra-Man

I think the original English dub is more fun than the original Cantonese audio (and whoever subbed this has taken some liberties) but still well worth watching.

All hail Princess Dragon Mom!!!

https://youtu.be/Hk6yE3QcIE4

5 Likes

Oh that is one of my favorite cheesy movies of all time. Best watched with friends! A Hong Kong movie knock off of Japanese Super Sentai/Kamen Rider type shows… what is not to love?!

4 Likes

Also recommended, the same director’s 1983 wuxia Portrait in Crystal. A giddy delight that is nearly impossible to synopsize, involving (among other delights) a crystal statue which is brought to life which then starts assassinating people, various poisons that cause people to explode, cannibal innkeepers, naked fishnet torture, kung fu, ghost fu, and a few tasteful borrowings from Raiders of the Last Ark. It all involves some sort of family feud, but I found it impossible to keep track of the plot. It doesn’t matter.

4 Likes

Starring the cast of every Shaw Brothers movie! How has this not been on El Rey yet?

2 Likes

That looks like a lot of crazy fun! I will have to look for it.

2 Likes

The Nice Guys. Really liked it. Lots of fun. Perhaps not quite Kiss Kiss Bang Bang level, but what is?

2 Likes

Anyone seen Captain Fantastic? Trailer looks interesting…

2 Likes

Arrival.

Profound and profoundly sad yet optimistic in a way but, oh boy, did it feel timely. The utter stupidity of the human race as a whole yet the goodness of individuals if we just talk to each other was depressingly familiar but overcoming those differences and language barriers and coming together? That feels like the most implausible part of the plot right now.

Should add a link to buy the story collection it comes from actually, if you want a DRM-free non-amazon epub - http://www.feedbooks.com/item/953509/stories-of-your-life-and-others

8 Likes

Sounds good to me.

My preference for sci-fi is very conceptual. In an online discussion about what I thought would make an interesting series my first thought was one about encounter with a possible lifeform which, because of its true alien-ness, nobody could be certain about whether or not it was truly alive or intelligent. And every episode would get into ways of testing this. A close second was such a series where every episode was about trying to even establish any communication at all. Most fiction skips right over the interesting bits in preference of stereotyped aliens who mirror clichéd human concerns and our clichéd reactions to them.

6 Likes