Underrated and overrated films (and other general filmy chat)

It has John “I needed the money” Carradine as the vampire… how could it be anything but awful?

3 Likes

Well, his son made a pretty good Frankenstein…

7 Likes

Can’t speak for the quality of them but the review for one reads “Ed Wood’s Mexican Brother” so I am so in for that. :smiley:

Thing is, the elements that make a good werewolf flick are almost the same as those that make a good western I’m surprised no-ones made a decent go at it yet.

5 Likes

Well, the story behind Jason isn’t too bad either; it has serious legs.

6 Likes

That’s true, but you gotta spend money to do justice to it, and the instinct of too many of the major studios would be to go all Gods of Egypt on it. I still blame Stephen Sommers for that mindset.

2 Likes

Guess you haven’t been watching Penny Dreadful.

4 Likes

Guess you didn’t read on.

True, I just looked at the replies to that post. If I read on I’ll never go back and post a reply.

2 Likes

Heh. I do that, too. :slight_smile:

It’s that Penny Dreadful storyline that really got me thinking.
I mean, isolation, wilderness, small communities surrounded by the unknown, not knowing the past of every stranger that rolls into town, roving packs of predators/bandits…

It’s perfect. :smiley:

2 Likes

Plus limited ammunition and resources, and no electric light or technological advantages make for added tension. It writes itself!

Guess I gotta see this Penny Dreadful arc. When did it start?

1 Like

It covered most of Season 3. There’s a couple towards the end which are set back in London, and E04 is a stand-alone (and totally worth a watch), so maybe 6 or 7 eps. If you’re into gothic/supernatural horror its a solid series for the most part. And Eva Green is tremendous in it.

2 Likes

I’m not, but I like it because it’s solidly written and acted. It keeps tight reigns on it’s supernatural assumptions making suspension of disbelief easier. One of my only problems with it is a common one, where a character in the pilot does something inconsistent with how the character is later developed.

Frankenstein’s Monster John Clare horrifically murders his successor, then is developed as a sensitive soul. It reminded me of how on The Shield Vic murders a fellow cop in the pilot, then is developed as a corrupt but moral and clever guy who would have figured out another way.

3 Likes

1 Like

I’m still waiting for Zeppelin v Pterodactyls

10 Likes

Damn you, Captain Kronos! See how you have cheated us!

2 Likes

Finally saw CITIZENFOUR today. I’ve always thought of Snowden as a hero and this film just further solidified this for me.

10 Likes

stop waiting!!!

3 Likes

That was the best thing I’ve seen in a long time…except for the spliced-in pterodactyl parts.

Danger 5 has both zeppelins and pterodactyls, though they’re usually fighting on the same side.

3 Likes

You had me at “Hammer” although I really prefer the anthology films of Amicus like the too-often overlooked Dr Terror’s House of Horrors.

1 Like

From the Dead Celebrity thread the death of director Herschell Gordon Lewis piqued my interest because of this from the article about him:

Yes, while many of his exploitation contemporaries resorted to public domain or sound libraries to use and re-use music in their sexploitation or hyper-violent drive-in endeavors, Lewis’ background in music gave his filmography its own distinct flair.

This got my attention because both John Carpenter and Dario Argento are also musically inclined and, I believe, also composed music for some of their films.

Maybe that’s not enough to be considered a pattern but could there be something about horror film directors and music?

3 Likes