Underrated and overrated films (and other general filmy chat)

Yep. But your right it did suit the film.

2 Likes

FYI - Coraline is on Netflix right now.

5 Likes

Autoplaying trailer: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x31tdmc

1 Like

I have no idea why… (topic?, actors?,etc.) …

But the ‘chick-flick’ “Julie & Julia” from '09 is simply a great movie that I’ve saved on my DVR; and I watch it over & over about every 4-5 months…

2 Likes

Came here to say the same. “Get Out” is a deeply satisfying movie that had me thinking about how good it was for days afterwards. Most definitely recommended.

7 Likes

I somehow missed this when it went out live. Did anybody see it?

1 Like

A week later, still digesting. Deeeeeeeep things are afoot in that one.

3 Likes

Underrated

Most Relevant Detail: Christopher Lambert is a safecracker!

Bonus scene:

6 Likes

This is a movie that in the wrong hands would be a clumsy Twilight Zone horror flick, but kudos to Jordan Peele (!) for such incredibly subtle, careful, clever writing and direction on such a small budget. And for making a movie that can work on so many levels at once.

In an interview for “Keanu”, Peele mentioned his upcoming horror movie work, and I thought oh boy, comedy horror, yeesh. Never would I think when watching Key & Peele that he’d be one of the most exciting new directors in years.

5 Likes

I LOVE that movie, but I’ve never seen it in English, and I know I’ve missed much of the plot.

4 Likes

That trailer and Luc Besson make me want to go see this.

4 Likes

There are two great things about the English dub. 1) Lambert does his own lines in English. And 2) there is the matter of Batman and Robin.

1 Like

Anyone have a good Netflix recommendation? I am so tapped out on good material right now. I started watching the latest How to Get Away with Murder even though I really don’t like it just because it’s like a beach read - a lot of hooks to keep me interested - but I’m not in love with it.

2 Likes

I am not familiar with your tastes, but I enjoyed “The Detectorists.”

It has been around for a while, so forgive me if this recommendation is redundant.

8 Likes

It’s great! Besson has a flair for visual such that you don’t need to worry about the dialogue.

Supposedly his first film lacked dialogue, but I haven’t seen it.

4 Likes

Last night, we watched “The Girl with All the Gifts”, which was a zombie film from a different perspective. We liked it.

On the other hand, My son and I saw “Life” at the theatre today. It was very pretty to look at, much like “Gravity”. But without any spoilers, it was sort of off. I am no astronaut, but I grew up surrounded by astronauts and test pilots. Among the things that they do not do, talking about their feelings is pretty high on the list. They are also super unlikely to ever say (mild spoiler)-

“Screw the isolation protocol, open the airlock!”.
Films where the characters make bad decisions over and over are frustrating to me. Especially when the actors are playing people who, in the real world, would be selected for their superior calm under pressure and self discipline. Just my opinion.

2 Likes

Aww i was gonna go see that if it weren’t for this meddling cold.

I saw two polar opposites recently though - moonlight and kong: skull island.

2 Likes

Something funny: Scrotal Recall (its better than the name implies)
Something less funny: Making a Murderer

3 Likes

Just watched Nocturnal Animals. I thought it was great. Really liked the multiple layers, had a Coen-esque vibe to it, and Adams and Gyllenhaal were very good. And Michael Shannon was, well, Michael Shannon.

@Max_Blancke, I’ve heard good things about The Girl with All the Gifts, have been meaning to check that out.

2 Likes

My brother recommended Train to Busan, a pretty tight South Korean zombie flick. I was too tired/distracted to commit to it this evening, but nonetheless it kept sucking me in. A hoot and a half, and I’ll watch it properly tomorrow.

Yeah, motherf***ing zombies on a motherf***ing train. With stops.

8 Likes