Underrated and overrated films (and other general filmy chat)

I saw Making a Murderer. It was interesting. Afterward I read up some more about the case.

2 Likes

Maybe it’s just my fascination of submarines (err: living underwater?); and that I also served on a few (decades ago)…

Having watched (literally) EVERY movie or TV show that’s ever had the word ‘submarine’ in their write-up… “Das Boot” is ‘spot-on’ when it comes to REALITY !

**Yeah, yeah, I grew up as a John Wayne fan too… But “Das Boot” is just an awesome movie !

4 Likes

We watched it. if was fun.

1 Like

We recently watch “Sea without exit”, which is about the crews of Japanese mini subs in WW2. I don’t think a subtitled version exists, but if I see one, I will pm you.

2 Likes

OMG: Before ‘clicking’ on it, alI I thought of was 'Karate Kid" ?!?! (Ugh, I’m ould !)

Why “Karate Kid” ? I never saw that.
The trailer is done as more of a melodramatic romance than the actual film.

1 Like

Just a 'quick glance" . .

9 posts were split to a new topic: Art in Architecture

So anyone who makes money off art can’t be an artist by your definition? Seems short sighted to me. People got to eat.

4 Likes

Totally not what I was saying. Artists who get paid are a subset of all artists. “People gotta eat” was exactly my point in countering the notion that creating for the market makes you soulless sell out.

1 Like

Okay. Thanks for clarifying. I’m probably not in the best position today to talk about the subtleties of what makes an artist.

2 Likes

That’s a minefield no one should stray into. I learned a long time ago not to argue about what is art or an artist. And as this clearly demonstrated even that isn’t enough to keep you out of trouble.

1 Like

It’s sort of a core tension in my dissertation, so there’s that. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That’s masochistic of you.

1 Like

Why do you think I’m getting a phd in history, studying popular culture? Clearly, I hate myself! :wink:

2 Likes

I just watched an amusing splatter fest from the Sushi Typhoon studio.
Dead Ball… our hero can pitch a deadly fastball though he has vowed never again after killing his father with it.
So he goes on a rampage of killing yakuza and that sort but get picked up and sent to juvie where the headmistress is a Nazi and makes him play in the Juvie League where points are made for how awesomely you kill the other players. Super crazy and bloody violence ensues.
This is not a good film, however if you like over the top cartoonish blood soaked action you should check it out.

6 Likes

Ooh.

8 Likes

I love AKIRA. It was massively influential and a beautiful visual spectacle. It doesn’t need a live-action remake.

Jordan Peele showed what a unique filmmaking voice he has with GET OUT. He needs to be directing his own ideas and his own scripts.

Having him at the helm of an unnecessary AKIRA remake would give me some hope for the project, but I’d much rather see Peele be given a blank check to do his own thing.

12 Likes

Speaking of…I see Ghost in the Shell is getting some less than glowing reviews. Apparently they wrote the whitewashing into the script, as well.

7 Likes

Joss Whedon’s a big step-up from Zack Snyder, at any rate, so they might get a watchable DC movie out of this.

7 Likes