Unexpected file download when opening BB main page?

Starting this morning, I am getting a weird, 0 kB download every time I load the main page. I’m using Chrome on Windows 7 Pro. I’m not getting that from other pages on BB or from other sites.

8 Likes

I get it using Chrome on a Chromebook

But not on an iPad

2 Likes

Yeah, my other box is an iPad Pro, and I’m not getting it there.

2 Likes

All pages or just a specific page?

3 Likes

Just the front page, as far as I can tell.

4 Likes

Thanks, we’re on it. It’s probably a bad ad, which is annoying to track down, but we’re trying!

5 Likes

Just closed out and re-opened, and didn’t get the file. So the occurrences were at 11:43 AM, 11:49, 12:08, 12:18 and 12:18 again. All Pacific Time. All named “download” with no file suffix.

2 Likes

I had two occurrences.

I did not note the time, but the range Duke Trout describes seems to fit.

2 Likes

So far, we’ve seen it as an ad trying to download content from ads.adsinspidsp.com - if anyone can corroborate, we’d appreciate it. Thanks!

4 Likes

I can corroborate that. I got one d/l attempt about an hour ago with the opt to save or cancel.

3 Likes

Possibly unrelated, but a similar problem, but I just got a dialogue box on the BBS, this time trying to open an mp4?

I snapped this immediate after it popped up on my screen.

2 Likes

That looks more like an issue with your setup not being able to play mp4 files in-browser. There’s no advertising on the BBS currently, so it shouldn’t be related.

Appreciate you taking the time to report it, however!

4 Likes

Cool! Thanks!

5 Likes

I’m seeing that too - a file called ‘download’ with no extension was downloaded.
Started looking around and saw this https://www.ghacks.net/2017/05/18/you-should-disable-automatic-downloads-in-chrome-right-now/ from a while ago. Disabled automatic downloads, Now I get prompted where to save the file.
Not just on home page, saw it on “How to: run a small social network” as well.

4 Likes

Yup, last time about four hours ago , now logging on with a kindle so Don’t know if it is still going on.

3 Likes

Thanks, all - we’ve informed our ad partners and they’re on it.

6 Likes

FYI.

Went here…

and another d/l attempt popped up. file _cmid=16&ssp=unrulyx

3 Likes

Yes, I’m getting this mystery file as well.

3 Likes

Happened to me again just this moment 14:48 CDT 13 July 2019 while viewing the bOINGbOING home page.

Chrome browser, Windows 10 OS (fully updated)

2 Likes

file _cmid=16&ssp=unrulyx download attempt happened again – one followed by another within seconds of the other – this morning.

Note: my os is win10.

1 Like