United insisted a passenger check her 17th C violin, then a supervisor got into a "wrestling match" with her

I love playing Blame The Victim! So far we have:

1. She didn’t see a doctor immediately so her story is bullshit
  2. She’s trying to get a payout from the United Hateways cash flow
  3. Why didn’t she just follow orders
  4. She wasn’t entitled to extra space for her violin
  5. We can’t believe anything her attorney says
  6. September 11 changed everything
21 Likes

Hardee har har. Country and folk music players are not dumber than any other musician. They also don’t play with a stalk of wheat sticking out of their mouths, or barefoot in ragged overalls, unless ironically.

6 Likes

Sorry, didn’t mean to offend. I was trying for humor; sorry I missed.

2 Likes

I know you meant it to be funny, but it’s a negative stereotype that needs to die.

9 Likes

Likely all the details have not come out… in which case I’d think it would be okay to play ‘Devil’s Advocate’. This year has taught me that ANYTHING can happen.

2 Likes

I once drove 1200 miles across the US with a double bass for a concert, because I didn’t trust the airlines with it. Not even if it were in the seat next to me, which it would have had to have been.

6 Likes

It’s a negative stereotype that needs to die, but I thought it was funny.

It’s important to have a sense of humor about oneself.

2 Likes

That violin actually sounds inexpensive for what it is.

Even though it’s not exactly the most expensive violin in the world, it’s not cheap enough where you can smash it up and LOL buy a new one. It’s worth at least as much as a car, and musicians get paid shit.

7 Likes

I think this is part of the story I don’t understand: How does the price of the ticket come into play? (More expensive seats have more under-the-seat storage space?)

5 Likes

If you’re an evil sociopath, why not put together a fake United-supervisor costume and hang around at airports looking for excuses to hassle and demean people at random? Who would know the difference?

4 Likes

I don’t understand it either. I don’t know if @anon81034786 meant that if she could afford a violin she could afford a better seat, or if she paid so much money for the violin she should shell out the cash to have it transported more securely. If it’s the former, that’s not necessarily true. It’s not expensive for a violin, but it’s still hella expensive and musicians get paid shit. If it’s the latter, I honestly don’t know. I don’t know what options are out there for violinists, but I’m not surprised she chose to fly with her violin.

Actually, if she was going from Memphis to St. Louis, I would have driven, because that’s only 250 miles, so driving might be faster.

2 Likes

Strange how people assume anyone with an expensive violin is made of money. I knew a symphony member with a 10k musical instrument who did sex work on the side to make ends meet.

When I see yokels driving 50k pickup trucks my first thought is ‘in debt’ not ‘first class’.

14 Likes

It’d be nice to see some ironic ones. Where I am in the Appalachians they don’t even do that when they’re playing in front of the old timey tourist trap general stores.

1 Like

Perversity will always find a way.

(Cut to more than one incident of a man hiding inside and beneath womens’ outdoor toilet ‘pits’ so he could watch all the action.)

1 Like

You are correct there. I’ve seen bad things with instruments from virtually every airline.

For my part I certainly didn’t intend to come off that way and apologize if I did. I think there’s a chance you might be right, but I’m having a hard time finding a definitive account- some sources say they tried to grab the violin, others, like your links, say it was a scrum over a suitcase. My sympathy depends in large part on which is true. And it certainly could be taking advantage of recent bad publicity, it certainly isn’t unlikely. When I’m flying, an airline could throw my suitcase or backpack into the ocean for all I care; I’m certainly not going to risk getting injured in a fight over it. But if someone gets grabby with my instrument I’m going to get pretty upset. I’m not letting anyone who isn’t a musician touch it. Even with my colleagues if there is a situation where something needs to be moved, I don’t so much as touch a closed latched case without asking the owner if it’s ok. If it’s not a mass manufactured student instrument, they lie somewhere between tool, child, pet, and irreplaceable work of art.

I agree, we should all keep digging whatever the topic; numerous times others find things we miss. I’m certainly uncomfortable with being all internet judgy so much.

According to one article, it seems likely that it’s nothing more than sore, but one still would want to get checked out. Might be overdramatic or maybe not, like you point out it’s a lawyer and they are known to exaggerate in favor of their client. I googled her, she’s pretty much a freelancer, which means no play=no pay. I recently played with someone whose hand had been stepped on at the gym and hurt like hell, but did the best they could because ya gotta eat and you don’t want potential employers thinking you’re out of commission. We’re pretty much like athletes; sometimes you feel you have no choice but to play hurt, either for yourself or for the team.

I agree it’s probable that this all originates with a misunderstanding about a no-carry-on ticket that’s in conflict with the instruments-allowed law.

12 Likes

At least none of the women were named Edmund

When will the violins stop?!?!

4 Likes

I don’t like this post, as it is referencing Nero, who by historic accounts, didn’t fiddle while Rome burned and actually tried to help out the people who were affected by it.

1 Like

[quote=“hecep, post:14, topic:102312”]
Passengers who have instruments that are too large to be carried on board as standard carry-on baggage (for example, double basses) may store their instrument in a separately purchased seat.[/quote]
Emotional support animals travel free. Can you label your double bass an “emotional support instrument”?

7 Likes

I’d try that, assuming I’d ever let my bass aboard an airplane.

3 Likes