United's passenger-beatings are a feature of its business, not a bug

Cory’s post is the most cogent explanation of the airline industry that I’ve ever read.

1 Like

Hm. May I enquire how tall you are, and what sex (not gender identity)? I’m 175cm, but that’s from very long legs. My 185cm brother can re-park my car without having to adjust the seat, although he’d want it back another notch if he were to drive it any distance. Even as a skinny teenager it was obvious I had “child-bearing hips”.

And all this has bearing because I have never, ever, been comfortable in economy, not since my first flight at age 13 when I was already my adult height.

Early airline seats were based on those for military aircraft – designed for thin, narrow-hipped men who were no taper than 178cm (and probably shorter). Since then some airline’s seats have actually got smaller.

People live to bitch about sitting beside large adults on flights, but I didn’t ask for the body I’m in. I do ask to be comfortable if I’m going to pony up hundreds of dollars, though.

And for all the “so take the train” types – if I’m on a plane, chances are I’m going overseas. Someday I may actually find a transatlantic cruise just for the experience, but that’s not exactly regular travel anymore.

11 Likes

Roughly 5’10" (178cm)and weigh in at 210lbs and male. It’s not roomy by any stretch being in economy. But it’s fine for the most part. You say “spending hundreds of dollars” but think about that. For around $300-400 I can go from boston to Los Angeles round trip in about 6.5 hours each way. Having a seat that is not entirely perfect or as roomy as the one up front where that person paid $3000-$4000 for the same thing. WORTH IT in my book.

United’s passenger-beatings are a feature of its business, not a bug

But the scorpion? That’s a bug.

10 Likes

No it’s not, scorpions have 8 legs.

/pedant pendant attempt :smile_cat:

9 Likes

You monster.

11 Likes

And the cramps, bruising, and potential of a blood clot? Is that worth it too?

Again, usually I’m flying overseas. I can’t remember the last time I got a $300 round trip ticket for overseas. If I manage $700 I’m ecstatic.

3 Likes

So like I stated above. The shear number of people flying each day and the actual number of people who do experience problems whether it’s a medical/physical issue or customer service one…incredibly low percentage me thinks.

I know that to the person who has an issue arise it doesn’t matter that they are in a small minority. But honestly that’s how most business works. You manage to the 80/20 rule.

1 Like

I mentioned elsewhere that United is a “corporate preferred” airline along with American. In practice all that means is “choose United or American, and no one will raise an eyebrow. Choose another airline and make sure you can justify it come T&E audit”

I’m certain there was some hue and cry at the corporate offices that we should drop United. But, I know we won’t.

The Venn diagram of “people who make those decisions” and “people who fly a lot for work” have a lot of overlap.

And those people have Status with United.

And the one thing United does know how to do right is treat the high status passengers

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.