University of Idaho sent email to staff advising against abortion talk and birth control access – or else!

Originally published at: University of Idaho sent email to staff advising against abortion talk and birth control access – or else! | Boing Boing

10 Likes

The inevitable First Amendment lawsuit should provide some well-deserved excitement for this public land grant university’s Nat-C administrators, their craven enablers, and the school’s lawyers.

54 Likes

So, how does that work in a medical school? Or a nursing school? Remove whole chunks from the curriculum?

46 Likes

This will require a tenured faculty member to do something like posting a sign on their door that reads “Need to Terminate a Pregnancy? Come Talk to Me For Options.” Then see what happens.

In my experience, staffers at American universities generally live in fear of getting fired for all sorts of petty reasons. I don’t see them risking their state jobs over something like this. They don’t make much to begin with, and state benefits and retirement are the motivation for the job.

30 Likes

Exactly. I’m really not sure how the school’s administrators thought this could end any other way than with one or more tenured profs immediately challenging them.

25 Likes

This ban on discussing birth control offers a clear answer to the old conundrum, “Do they ban abortion because they find the killing of a fetus morally repugnant, or because they want to shame and control women?”

42 Likes

Because nothing helps a college student get through their coursework more than getting pregnant or becoming a parent. Teaches multitasking!!!
/extreme /s

32 Likes

Ah, but wait for the Supreme Court’s next term, which is probably on track to declare all this legal because LOLOL fuck you we do what we want.

23 Likes

giphy

26 Likes

This, my dear children, is what censorship looks like.

Facebook taking down your posts, Twitter deactivating your account - these are not examples of censorship.

37 Likes

Lawsuit city; here they come.

20 Likes

I think that this is the real fear. Not that it has to go all the way to the Supreme Court, a lower court may do their dirty work for them.

I wouldn’t count on things like tenure or the First Amendment these days.

11 Likes

Does the ban also include bumper stickers?

13 Likes

what happens if we buy some front page ads in the student newspaper?

plenty of books worth pointing to

16 Likes

It’s not my car, Dean. My partner owns it - I just drive it.

18 Likes

They are threatening them with a felony. What felony exactly?

18 Likes

In short, absolutely yes, I think that’s a totally possible albeit terrifying outcome…

8 Likes

I’m taking the view that this is a simultaneous attack on women AND higher ed in the same fell swoop. Destroying education is part of the christofascist agenda.

19 Likes

Even old-fashioned condoms will not be offered as a form of birth control, but they will offered “for the purpose of helping prevent the spread of STDs,”

Pregnancy is an STD.

10 Likes

In a nutshell, yes. The amount of ignorance they want to impose on us is absolutely barbaric, with all apologies to actual barbarians, who tended to be much more enlightened that these asshats.

24 Likes