Public university president bans drag show and promises to ignore "the law of the land"

Originally published at: Public university president bans drag show and promises to ignore "the law of the land" | Boing Boing

16 Likes

He seems destined to fail in his attempts to prevent mockery.

29 Likes

I see that Foundation for Individual Rights in Education has changed their name to Foundation for Individual Rights in Expression.

Very much a right wing group, but it seems that drag show bans are a wedge issue with them. :person_shrugging: Did not have that on my Bingo card!

https://trashpanda-x.github.io/darklantern/#Foundation%20for%20Individual%20Rights%20in%20Education

22 Likes

Another conservative university administrator who has difficulty with the basic concept of education.

33 Likes

“A harmless drag show? Not possible.”

WTF do they think goes on at one?

17 Likes

Non-binary representations manifest themselves! :scream:

13 Likes

Wow, never in my life have I seen someone who so looked like a Walter Wendler.

12 Likes

TERFy is not lefty anymore. TBH it never was lefty, but previous generations let them in and we are still dealing with the consequences. Now that we have started kicking them out of left wing and feminist groups they are finding that they have more common ground with neo-nazis and other fascists.

28 Likes

Wendler’s adoption of lefty points (drag is a sexist caricature of women, etc) to garnish his bigotry is an interesting novelty and something you’ll be seeing more of from the usual suspects.

Of course. It’s the whole anti-vax “my body my choice” stuff. But, the response to that is to then hit him hard with multiple questions on what he’s doing to stop ACTUAL sexism, sexual harassment, sexual assault, and rape on his campus. Dig up the crime stats on campus sex crimes and hit him with it until he cries uncle.

18 Likes

How wonderful to see that Wendler suddenly cares about misogyny /s

We had a protest yesterday, The students and teachers were well represented. Spent the evening at a friends Master’s presentation on how Women Saved the West (she’s an archivist) at the Cornette library on campus. Several department heads were there and zero support for Wendler and much anger about the letter. This follows on a recent letter from the Mayor of Amarillo Ginger Nelson opposing a Valentine’s drag show that incited armed protestors. (The show was a huge success and heavily supported by counter demonstrators and supporters who outnumbered the idiots by six to one).

A little history, our local NAACP branch has had to intervene with Wendler in the past on other campus issues and he was predictably useless.

27 Likes

This is a new one to me. Making an equivalence between drag shows and Blackface? Or am I reading that wrong?

“I will not appear to condone the diminishment of any group at the expense of impertinent gestures toward another group for any reason, even when the law of the land appears to require it.

So, he would support BLM and reproductive freedom, then, right? No? But he just said…

Nah,

jennifer lawrence middle finger GIF

28 Likes

You’re reading it right. TERFs call drag “womanface” and liken it to minstrel shows with blackface performers.

22 Likes

A harmless drag show? Not possible. I will not appear to condone the diminishment of any group at the expense of impertinent gestures toward another group for any reason, even when the law of the land appears to require it… No one should claim a right to contribute to women’s suffering via a slapstick sideshow that erodes the worth of women.

What the hell is this guy talking about? Have drag shows changed recently? I am sure there is some variety, but a lot of them is lip syncing Lady Gaga or Sister Sledge’s We are Family. It’s a homage to women they revere not mockery.

12 Likes

I’m guessing that someone this committed to protecting the dignity of the fairer sex from drag shows has an impeccable record on Title IX matters.

18 Likes

It’s Texas, so Greg Abbott will give him permission to do anything he wants, for reasons ranging from encouraging hatemongering to harming higher education. I’m not even sure lawsuits will do anything, since the Supreme Court will surely rule in his favor, on the eternal legal principle of OWNING TEH LIBS.

But Wendler has fucked himself in a way he’ll have a hard time dealing with, because no one mocks and makes it hurt like college students.

11 Likes

They have very much decided to align with reactionary forces…

Not an iota of truth to it. Maybe it’s a TER talking point?

Ah! Assholes.

19 Likes

I will not appear to condone the diminishment of any group at the expense of impertinent gestures toward another group for any reason

How can someone who would concoct such a piece of word salad become a university president?

13 Likes

he does know drag works both ways right?

a different subject, but his (feigned) ignorance parallels the erasure of trans men in the language of the far right ( and people like that voldemort author )

facts can be so inconvenient i guess

17 Likes

Y’know, I’ve been thinking about dressing up as Prince or Gene Simmons in KISS makeup for Halloween for a while now; and the more I hear about all this anti-drag/anti-LGBTQ+ hate mongering, the more I think about taking it a step further and becoming a full on Drag King.

Unfuck those assholes.

28 Likes

So HERE is where he is going to take a stand about issues that threaten to “erode the worth of women”? Sure asshole, that is the motivation behind it. Some public university presidents might lose their jobs over remarks like he’s made. But not in Texas, no sirree. He’s gonna get a statue.

13 Likes