West Texas A&M president sued for banning drag shows

Originally published at: West Texas A&M president sued for banning drag shows | Boing Boing

9 Likes

Excuse Me What GIF by Bounce

Can’t tell if the guys picture has been @beschizza’ed or not?

20 Likes

I’m just imagining Wendler’s lawyer seeing that part on TV and making a beeline to the liquor cabinet.

31 Likes

Nope. That’s the pic I’ve seen elsewhere and his other photos show it’s probably unaltered. Perhaps @beschizza-ing was unnecessary

I wish a more reputable org had filed the suit. FIRE is problematic. Founded to dismantle the alleged liberal bias in higher ed. Kinda surprised they took this one up.
https://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php/Foundation_for_Individual_Rights_in_Education

16 Likes

“We must scrupulously guard the civil rights and civil liberties of all our citizens, whatever their background. We must remember that any oppression, any injustice, any hatred, is a wedge designed to attack our civilization.” ~ FDR, 1940

14 Likes

That’s a good sentiment, though the guy who voiced it didn’t exactly rise to the occasion when it came time to upholding his own stated ideals.

17 Likes

season 2 episode 10 GIF

3 Likes

Ya, for sure. A real “Do as I say, not as I do.” Still, what he said is true even if he failed to live up to it himself.

2 Likes

Did you hear about the skeleton they found in a stairwell closet in one of the dorms in College Station?
They checked the dental records and found out it was the 1955 A&M Hide-And-Go-Seek Champion

2 Likes

publicly-funded college he runs, boasting that he didn’t care if this broke the “law of the land”.

yeah. when i first read that statement (or “boast”) from this fine gentlemen i started to imagine trial lawyers asking how the defendant made the decision which “laws of the land” he decided that he should violate, and did the defendant know that he was thereby confirming his own guilt …? (“I said ‘of the land’; I believe laws only need be followed if they’re ‘of the sea’!” [assumes hornpipe dance posture])

4 Likes

Looks more like the president of a local White Citizens Council

10 Likes

Ty for a laugh on a dark day.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s a little hard to tell, though since it’s the same photo he’s been using since 1953.

(That’s a joke, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s actually true. Dinosaurs gonna dinosaur.)

6 Likes

My cynical take is that at best it is a PR move to make themselves look more balanced, at worst it will be part of a bigger argument that hate speech must also be given a platform. But maybe (hopefully) I’m wrong and it is a principled stand to defend free speech.

4 Likes

well ole’ walt said he didn’t care if his actions were against the law of the land and we are gonna find out exactly how much he cares now.

2 Likes

That head shot is the exact photo you’d expect if Stephen Colbert introduced the guy: “West Texas A&M President and man who doesn’t care about ‘the law of the land’ when banning drag shows on campus, Walter Wendler, said yesterday that he, quote, doesn’t care about “the law of the land,” and will ban a drag show on campus.”

2 Likes
5 Likes

nope. i see eyeballs in there, not teeth.
but…
Thats Good Robert Deniro GIF
you made me look!

8 Likes

I’m just hoping that the penalties fall more on the man than the college. Maybe if more people faced the idea that they were playing with their own money, and not house money, they might be less likely to pull off this sort of asshattery.

7 Likes

In any case, he’s likely to be playing with anti-LGBTQ activist / donation money, of which there seems to be a fucking endless supply these days.

7 Likes