University of Tennessee stands by elementary school kid bullied for his fandom

Perhaps. Asking fourth graders to wear their team colors is normative. It is not really a request for creativity. And so some subset of students will enforce those norms when asked. Or voluntarily. So anyone who shows some imagination is going to get some static (which you eventually learn to ignore if you want to do your own thing). The teacher was bucking those norms as much as the young man by going to facebook instead of addressing the problem directly.

The Heart wants what it wants - or else it does not care.

Every creative person I know says they’d be happier if they’d just been picked on more, none discuss the teacher who cared.

This may be more about money to afford his team jersey than his art.

2 Likes

Stand by your fan,

1 Like

Good teacher intervention.

And an alert University.

9 Likes

Back to speech acts…

If you walk up to a table of people and say, “Do you like my shirt?”
That can be a request for honest feedback or a request for affirmation.

If you are sitting there eating your lunch and the adjoining table asks, “What in the world are you wearing?”
That’s probably not a request for information.

2 Likes

Our elementary school used to have “team” days and eventually did away with it. The reason was you’d have kids end up fighting because [[insert team here]] is better than [[insert team here]].

1 Like

If he’s a white kid, probably so. If he’s black or Latino, probably not. I suspect that a UT fan in Altamonte Springs could well be a tomato/orange picker’s youngun, and that he has a relative in working the fields in Grainger County, TN. The area around UT Knoxville is known for being pro-bully so this is a new thing for them: perhaps they learned something from ex-chancellor Wade Gilley after all.

I love the kid’s creativity and he knows what med techs know: that those red blood cells dyed to show up under the microscope actually are pure Orange.

And then they bragged about 16,000 sold already. At $2 per shirt for royalty, that would pay for a year’s out-of-state tuition to UT.

1 Like

Aha, UT must have read my pointed commentary and had a change of heart, as they have just offered him a scholarship!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.