University students raise £1500 to send much loved janitor on a much needed vacation

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/06/28/university-students-raise-1500.html

9 Likes

I’m a filthy grad student. I intend to leave a thank you card for the building’s janitor when I’m finished with some sort of gift card and an anonymous note ‘Thank you for putting up with our shit.’

The janitor in my building is not super nice (his attitude is unremarkable - which is kind of perfect really). But he keeps the building nice and clean. And people are animals (or much worse!). Kind of amazing custodians don’t lose their minds and kill us all.

10 Likes

We need as many truly wonderful stories as possible today. Thanks.

12 Likes

Good on him. Good on them.

3 Likes

It is a lovely story - would it be possible to find an alternative source to quote from rather than the Daily Mail?

BongBoing’s posts about the Daily Mail

4 Likes

There seems to be a bit of a sea-change at the Daily Mail of late. Interesting ideas from Charlie Stross on the why and how: http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/2018/06/the-pivot.html

7 Likes

Detoxify the Daily Mail? Will there be anything left? says the cynic.

Actually, I wish this new editor all the best. I hope it works. I hope this spreads. I get the Evening Standard for the sudoku on the coach home, and I have stopped even looking at the front.

5 Likes

Yeah, it’s nice to think (even just for the moment) that the hate-pendulum might finally be starting to swing back the other way…

2 Likes

I hope that the Students made sure the campus was nice and clean for when he got back off his break. :wink:

7 Likes

So much this. Thank you.

1 Like

Definitely a feel good story, i particularly like that everything wasn’t precipitated because of something that happened, or the janitor saying he hadn’t had a vacation, etc. The students just decided they should raise money to send him and his wife on holiday because they felt he deserved it. Good on those students and good on that man for taking pride in what he does.

4 Likes

awesome story. I hope this guy stops playing the lottery.

Right-wing troll-hate is just so mainstream now. If you want to be edgy, you gotta be positive and tell the truth, like some kinda hipster.

3 Likes

I hope he and his wife exercise extreme caution when they get there…

Those filthy millennials, they’re either spending their money on expensive avocado toast, or thoughtfully contributing to someones trip of a life time, don’t you just hate them?

2 Likes

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.