Unless you opt out, Amazon devices will stoon start sharing your internet with anyone nearby

I have an Amazon Echo, received as a gift and set up in January 2018. I don’t have a mobile app for Alexa because … well, let’s just say I’m an Old Lady and a Luddite. I’m trying to figure out how to opt out of Sidewalk, but I think I cannot because the device is old. And therefore it’s not in my settings anywhere when i go to Amazon and check it. Is that possible, that it’s too old to be part of the Sidewalk rollout?

2 Likes

Well said.

I wonder how long before the hack that lets any arbitrary computer pretend to be an Amazon device to tap their mesh?

Just curious, but when your system updates, must you go back and turn that ‘feature’ off again? My verizon set-top boxes have a setting I dislike that keeps ‘re-setting’ with updates. I wonder if xfinity internet does something similar.

This is why I don’t have any smart devices other than my crappy iPhone which is just a glorified PC with voicemail for me. I’m half tempted to get myself a dumb phone again just to break my twitter addiction.

1 Like

+1 on the Electric Dreams reference. I just showed it to my son, who couldn’t get over how funny it was Edgar called Miles “Moles”.

1 Like

So how soon will the first massive security hole be found?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.