UN's Ban Ki-Moon condemns Edward Snowden's digital "misuse"

The secretary general of the United Nations today personally condemned the actions of NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden, during a gathering of the foreign affairs committee of the Icelandic parliament in Reykjavik. “The Snowden case is something I consider to be misuse,” said Ban Ki-Moon, adding that digital communications should not be "misused in such a… READ THE REST

Just for some tragifarce, let’s check out the UN’s page about how the rule of law is pretty neat, and a good idea!

“For the United Nations, the rule of law refers to a principle of governance in which all persons, institutions and entities, public and private, including the State itself, are accountable to laws that are publicly promulgated, equally enforced and independently adjudicated, and which are consistent with international human rights norms and standards. It requires, as well, measures to ensure adherence to the principles of supremacy of law, equality before the law, accountability to the law, fairness in the application of the law, separation of powers, participation in decision-making, legal certainty, avoidance of arbitrariness and procedural and legal transparency.”

Hmm. I’m not really seeing the principled case for condemning whistleblowers on secret government surveillance programs here…

I’d honestly be curious to know if he thinks that there is one, if working his way up the civil-service ladder during the not-exactly-vibrant-democracy of the Fourth Republic rubbed off on him, or if he’s sensitive to the fact that the UN’s members are states, and most states think that surveillance is awesome?

The previous UN Office of Internal Oversight Services under-secretary wasn’t impressed with him; and a spat with your own internal affairs office is probably not a good sign.

I miss Dickipedia.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.