Unvaccinated Boston man denied a heart transplant

Truly.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/more-hospitals-are-removing-transplant-patients-from-lists-due-to-covid-vaccine-status/ar-AAT8SoR?ocid=msedgntp

12 Likes

Huh? Yeah, no, it’s not “throwing fuel on the fire” to highlight cases like this. Cases like this are something that could be comprehensible to someone on the fence. By all means let this fire burn long and brightly.

3 Likes

You only ever try to bullshit a kid once. After that, you experience their directness, blunt questioning and reasoning as a tonic: it becomes something you crave as you return home from a working world of jargon, cant, spin and weasel words. It’s a relief.

• national treasure, Virginia Trioli
8 Likes

Not to mention the blood transfusions likely required.

6 Likes

That’s my name too!

18 Likes

People are picketing/protesting at the hospital to get them to give him a heart. My body, my choice seems to be their motto yet again. I hope the hospital holds its line (I don’t see how they couldn’t) and refuses to consider a transplant. The guy is close to death for a stupid “principle”, leaving his wife and 2 kids without a father. MAGAts rule!

13 Likes

They should ask the protesters for a list of transplant requirements they think should be a matter of personal choice versus those that they would accept from trained doctors without question.

ETA. Better phrased

11 Likes

Mad Season 1 GIF by The Good Place

11 Likes

How about asking them to donate their own hearts.

11 Likes

Many of them will soon be able to.

5 Likes

And that’s not false; it’s just that the whole point of this exercise is that he wants a chunk of someone else’s body to replace part of his; so it isn’t terribly relevant. If he’s OK with his body he’s welcome to make it his choice; if he wants to make a case for a transplant he’s explicitly stepping into other-people’s-body territory.

19 Likes

Yep, especially since someone else has to die in order for him to live.
Maybe he could get a pig heart. That seems appropriate.

9 Likes

I find this quite difficult to wrap my head around. He’s always had a choice. He could have chosen to meet the long list recipient criteria. He made a different choice, and is not eligible at this time.

Maybe one day when there’s a surplus of donor hearts [1] and surgeon hours, he’ll be eligible.

[1] I don’t even want to imagine why there’d be a surplus of donor hearts.

11 Likes

Seems like a terrible waste of a perfectly good pig, given his chosen prospects.

9 Likes

Pig hearts aren’t really in short supply nor does it mean you can’t use the rest of the animal for non medical purposes.

3 Likes

Two people die. The donor, and someone further down on the list who won’t get a heart if he does.

14 Likes

Two people are gonna die anyway.
If that person down the list gets a heart before it’s too late, then someone’s gotta die for them.

Organ transplants are kind of a crap shoot, anyway. Some less so than others.

3 Likes

i.e. whatever Tucker Carlson said last night

7 Likes

I agree. His body his choice. Some one else’s body deserves the heart though and his body is free to die by his choice. :+1:

7 Likes

Good.

It’s beginning to sink in that I’m going to have to deal with these dumb fucks for literally the rest of my life. They’re not going away, despite the toll COVID is taking. They’ll still be there with their anti-science, conspiracy theories, screaming in public, voting for fascists, and generally impeding any kind of progress or improvement in the world whatsoever for decades and decades to come. I’m rapidly approaching the point where the only things I care to say about them are things that would probably get me banned, so I’m just going to leave it at that: GOOD.

13 Likes