Unvaccinated people are 4.4 times more likely to catch Covid and 15.4 times more likely to die from Covid

The message in the end was more aimed at BB –– don’t practice what you are going to make trade ridiculing. Or – just give us a break on the annoying ad links already.

6 Likes

Oh thank you, now I have the best idea yet for getting rich when I step into my time machine.

Let’s see, 1920? 1950?

8 Likes

You can’t fix stupid. More germane to this article is that you can’t fix innumeracy either. Even when the BOB (Big Orange Blob) told his people to get vaccinated they booed him.

8 Likes

The Objective Has Not Changed

25 Likes

“Meh, I’d rather have the real thing!!”

4 Likes

Masks protect others more than the wearer.

4 Likes

32 Likes

At this point it may be time to switch from a mask to a respirator.

6 Likes

We (UVA) just started deferring elective surgeries again and reopened a previously shuttered dedicated covid unit. Going through my head is “not again…”

20 Likes

So, 4 times likelier to catch it & 15 times liklier to DIE from it when you catch it?

Too bad they choose to affect those who can’t get vaccinated… and their loved ones who are.
Damn shame nothing can be done about it.
After all, Typhoid Mary had nothing to do with covid, so not a proper precedent… /s

10 Likes

Funny, that was my ophthalmologist’s recommendation to prevent cataracts. :thinking:

4 Likes

vlcsnap-00007

vlcsnap-00008

vlcsnap-00010

vlcsnap-00011

10 Likes

“You try that around here, young man, and we’ll slit your face.”

5 Likes

Coke, adds life.

s-79a2c7020e13dce77af3adc734eb626472554ac21

5 Likes

Ungh!

2 Likes

They say you can’t fix stupid.
Covid. An exception to the rule.

3 Likes

I can’t say this is much of a reassurance - I was hoping that getting vaccinated would reduce my chances of catching COVID by more than just a factor of 4. Maybe booster shots will make a difference.

4 Likes

Um, where in nature does one find hats and sunglasses? Pretty sure those count as technological medical interventions.

I’m with you on your joke, but it also reveals how silly the word “natural” is as any kind of valuable adjective. It means whatever people want it to mean in the moment.

10 Likes

This is quite a bit more effective than most vaccines, and people don’t go around worrying that the polio vaccine isn’t going to protect them. This vaccine is 94% effective. In some studies it’s as high as 98%

The measles vaccine is 93%. The mumps vaccine is 78%. The polio vaccine is 90%. How many people do you know that have any of those diseases?

So what is the intuitive gap? 4x doesn’t sound great, right? I encourage everyone to read up on the Base Rate Fallacy. It’s a statistical subtlety that is critical to understanding why these numbers sound worse than you think they would. The COVID vaccines are probably the best humankind has ever created. They really are remarkable.

Stories keep coming out with misleading sounding numbers like this. The worst one recently was about a cluster of vaccinated people in Massachusetts who all got COVID. That story sounded way worse than it was unless you understand this:

14 Likes

Wait wait wait, can you point me to something that reconciles the 75% effectiveness rating indicated by the study and the 94% effectiveness rating shown? I’m still confused, even after reading up on the base rate fallacy. I’d appreciate a more simplified explanation.

Given a vaccinated person (namely me), what’s the likelihood that I will catch COVID? 6% or 25%?

3 Likes