Up and in at the Magic Kingdom: Disney to found "Storyliving" planned communities

Originally published at: Up and in at the Magic Kingdom: Disney to found "Storyliving" planned communities | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Are they trying to fulfill Walt’s dream?

14 Likes

Hell.

10 Likes

This was the part that really ticked me off: the very first project will be in the middle of California’s Coachella Valley and includes a 34-acre “lagoon” filled with precious well water. (Not exactly authentic to the local heritage of the desert community) The high temperatures are an average of 107 degrees in July, and often reach around 120 degrees. The amount of evaporation will be enormous. Completely inexcusable to build something like this when the West is experiencing the worst drought in 1200 years.

23 Likes

So…

3 Likes

Yeah, I noticed that too… in the middle of a fucking historic 1200 year drought that has been going on for over 20 years and shows no sign of abating…

FYI, here is Gizmdo’s take on this…

15 Likes

giphy

8 Likes
4 Likes

As a former resident of Celebration, I am genuinely surprised Disney is making a second attempt at this.

16 Likes

So is this a walled community or a Walt community?

22 Likes

both-gif-10

17 Likes
4 Likes

My first thought too. Celebration didn’t work out as planned and there’s no reason to think that this will be any different.

I love Imagineering and am constantly impressed by Disney’s inability to miss a trick, but it’s an escape and not something I want to live in full-time. A Disney HOA doesn’t sound magical at all.

8 Likes

A key aspect of late-stage capitalism is thinking that THIS TIME you’ll get it right…

11 Likes

Even if lives are broken in the process.

5 Likes

Can’t upset the markets!!! We can risk lives if it turns a profit… /s

6 Likes

Honestly this seems like it may be more of a low-risk branding/franchise effort for the Mouse rather than a major property investment. (Kinda like how hotels would pay for the right to slap the Trump name on properties he didn’t own) The developer they’re partnering with has already had this plan in the works for at least 4 years, with property already acquired and permits granted, probably before partnering with Disney. As of yesterday they still had the original project website up: https://section31property.com (defunct as of today but you can probably find it on the wayback machine)

My impression so far is that it’s not going to be as fully-immersive and micro-managed to nearly the extent that Celebration Florida was originally designed to be.

4 Likes

Oh, joy. Toxic fandom in charge of the HOA. What could possibly go wrong?

3 Likes

More on Celebration…

9 Likes

Like clockwork, the next marker of a gilded age is when the billionaires start building utopias in their own twisted image. How’s Fordlandia doing this days?

7 Likes