Disney cancels $1 billion Florida development plan amid feud with DeSantis

Originally published at: Disney cancels $1 billion Florida development plan amid feud with DeSantis | Boing Boing

12 Likes

Deer Popcorn GIF

22 Likes

DeSantis does not prefer the pronouns it/stain but I encourage you to use them anyway.

21 Likes

Rate this is going I suspect Disney leaves florida or indicates they have a plan to by the end of this decade.

8 Likes

I can tell you that it was a lot. I know some of them.

Moving headquarters for a creative enterprise like this in pursuit of a dumb tax break was ill-conceived from the start, even if the relationship with the Florida state government hadn’t gone down the toilet.

By and large the folks who live in California want to keep living here, at least if they can afford it. A large numer of top-tier folks either retired early or moved on to other companies, and the damage done to the institutional knowledge at WDI is hard to express.

39 Likes

Disney is probably expecting Florida to get smart and evict that monster in the next election. Every time he opens his mouth he loses more of the borderline red hat fascists who are seeing him for who he truly is, and the state turns a shade more purple.

But yeah, I suppose if he gets reelected Disney might just walk.

11 Likes

Disney cannot simply “walk”. They cannot relocate WDW and, even if they could, we’ve already seen what happens when Disney tries to plan a park elsewhere in the US when they were planning “Disney’s America”.

I think they were hoping to bide their time until our current dipshit governor was out of office running for the Presidency, or term-limited out. Since his Republican cronies have now made it legal for him to remain governor while running for the Presidency, they’ll probably find some way to slime around the term limit also (it worked for Putin after all).

Disney firing this shot, $1B in development and about a quarter of a billion in wages annually after? That might FINALLY get some attention. You can be sure of one thing, Disney generally does not blink.

Of course, Disney never should’ve been moving everyone to Florida in the first place…much like DC’s ill-thought out move to close their NY offices and move everyone to CA.

25 Likes

What strange times when I find myself rooting for Disney.

19 Likes

They cannot “simply” walk. But they CAN walk. There’s a number and there’s a point that they have a red line where they will decide being in Florida isn’t worth as much as not being in Florida is. And when it hits that point, which it will if DeSantis keeps ratcheting this up, they will do it. They’re not going to let someone just take their business away from them. They could do any number of things at this point, they could BUY an island in the caribbean and move there, they could put a resort in Mexico, they could do any number of things in the same latitude as Disney is now or similar and without someone who is using the state to threaten Disney into making editorial changes in their products.

Never say they can’t relocate Disney. They’re a company with $300 billion in assets right now, and the vast majority of that ISN’T in Disney World at this point and doesn’t HAVE to be in Florida at all.

18 Likes

We have now entered the next act in the ‘Find Out’ portion of our show…

29 Likes

Next up…Disney plans to move to New Mexico!

6 Likes

Scene from DeSantis’ office right now:

male GIF

20 Likes

Word.

I don’t like Disney, (or the fact that corporations have so much damn power) but I dislike DeSantis and his ilk even more.

18 Likes

Heck, if they moved to Puerto Rico it would revitalize the economy, probably finally get the statehood issue settled and encourage some serious development.

30 Likes

Losing a billion dollars from Florida’s economy? You just have to frame it to be bubble-worthy.

#OwningTheLibs #Winning

6 Likes

He’s term-limited; can’t run for governor again. His goal is to be either senator or president.

8 Likes

Then he’ll be a dogcatcher for a term, and come back for another term. Or a court will repeal the term limits like they did for their legislative branch.

4 Likes

Disney had plans to relocate much of its Imagineering Department,

7 Likes

This seems logistically impossible.

4 Likes

I know in Upstate NY, there was a lot of flack against AOC for her opposition to an Amazon center in NYC, despite many Amazon jobs being shitty and hurting people, and the people I heard complaining about it lived way out of commuting range. I feel bad for workers in Florida/California who are negatively impacted, but hope this damages Desantis’ brand in future politics.

8 Likes